Which Turbo???

russs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like my PDR HX-35 is wearing out.... Getting some oil out of the seals and a lot of radial play. At my fueling level it would be prudent to step up to a HX-40 turbo.

PDR??? Or Dodgezilla??? Rip has me talked into a DZ but I'd like to hear someone elses oppinion...

Besides... Looks like this forum needs a kick in the ass...

russs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by dazedandconfused
From what I here Rip knows what he is talkin about so I would listen to him!

No doubt about it! I have the utmost respect and admiration for Rip... I guess I'd like to hear someones thoughts on it though.

Didnt Nathan Black get a DZ-40??? How's he liking it??

Cummnzpowr

Dunce
Reaction score
My dodgezilla { at least on my 12 valve} was kinda laggy at 400 hp with the 16cm housing, make sure you can deal with a 12cm on it, because the spool up would be worth it

Max Power

Reaction score
I envy you guys. Sure would be nice to be able to upgrade turbos as easily as you.

Whit

Reaction score
Russ......I have been doing just a touch of reading on turbos because I have discovered that my PDR 35 cant make enough air for the amount of fuel I am adding, now take into mind that I am not a turbo wiz but I will give you my 3 cents worth.

If you tow alot the hx40 would be a good choice but if you have an exhaust brake mounted to the outlet than you will need a whole new brake as well because what you have is 3.5" and the 40 is 4". I think I read that the B-1 B-2 series of turbo you can get what ever outlet housing on you want so that is an option

If you want I will sell you my slightly used LOL PDR 35 for say the price of a B-2LOL LOL LOL

Cheers, Kevin

TPCDrafting

Structural Steel
Reaction score
R.ebel from the TDR has a B1 on his '97. He lives near me and we travel to the dyno days together. Last trip down my truck ran 370 hp/900 tq, but pegged the pyro guage with stock exh. minus kitty and stock hx-35. On his with the B1, he made somewhere around 525 hp and his pyro peaked at 900 deg. He previously broke 2 hx-40's, one on the way to May Madness. He never made it there and had to buy a stock turbo at a dealer and come home nursing the egt's even in valet mode. I guess the B1's have larger shafts and barking isn't even an issue. Piers made good on all the hx-40's, but he basically dared him to break this one! He did sell his pacbrake and buy a new inline 4" pac and welded all the seams in the exh. back up to the turbo. I think that model is electrically controlled instead of vacuum.
In conclusion, I would think the hx-40 in a 400 hp range would be fine and has proven itself, but if you plan to go over 500, save yerself the trouble.

russs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Whitmore
Russ......I have been doing just a touch of reading on turbos because I have discovered that my PDR 35 cant make enough air for the amount of fuel I am adding, now take into mind that I am not a turbo wiz but I will give you my 3 cents worth.

If you tow alot the hx40 would be a good choice but if you have an exhaust brake mounted to the outlet than you will need a whole new brake as well because what you have is 3.5" and the 40 is 4". I think I read that the B-1 B-2 series of turbo you can get what ever outlet housing on you want so that is an option

If you want I will sell you my slightly used LOL PDR 35 for say the price of a B-2LOL LOL LOL

Cheers, Kevin

I've heard both directions on the -40. Some say its great for towing and some dont like it. Rip checked out my turbo and gave it a decent bill of health allthough he did say start saving for a new one. I'm leaning heavily towards a -40 because I think I could come close to 500rwhp with it and my current fueling. (Comp & Mach 2.4).

I'll likely sell the brake to help pay for the turbo. Who needs a brake anyhow?? The only piece of exhaust pipe on my truck that isnt 5" is the down pipe... Easily changed... :D

My last dyno was with BD2's, Comp, and PDR35 = 404rwhp @ 888tq

MUDDY

Reaction score
well,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,ya heard my opinion long time ago but if u 4got,,,,,,,,,

i not familiar wid the dgzilla. but,,,,,,,,,,,had the pdr40 on my last 2g. excelent towing. good spooolup low egt. 2s and loosewire comp did 381/800 on the eth. i was happy wid the 40 on there. i too had to sell my pac trbo mnt but later got an inline.

its nice to have a little temp relief

pac has the brk in 5'' remote now if ya werent aware

btw,,,,,,,,most folks ive heard talk of gettin a 40 for towing that aint piersified dont like it. the folks who get the pdr version and tow are happy camper haulers as i wuz

russs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I hear your saying dont get anything but a Piers -40???

MUDDY

Reaction score
im sayin that what i wld do. also sayin if ya get a stock 40 ya wont like towin wid it. im goin by what others who had a stock 40 told me who tried towin. after a piersification they were happy towin,,,,,as i was

russs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The reason I'm asking is because I was thinking about a DZ-40 instead of the Piers unit.

MUDDY

Reaction score
im ignant on the dz. does it compare pricewise