Which tie rods are the best

Marshall1

Reaction score
The time has come to replace my tie rods. Rockauto has Raybestos professional grade stuff for slightly more than Moog. Any opinions on which is better?

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
I used to buy moog from my commercial parts supplier (cold air, bumper to bumper) not autozone/advance bs.

alot of their parts had variations in it that bothered me. I bought a set of balljoints for a F150, one lower had a hole for a grease fitting, one didnt...

Or i did inner and outer tie rods on a GM 2500 van. Different sized castle nuts for each outer tie rod.

That bothers me, when i do a job and the car leaves i want the car to be as close to factory as possible. If someone else services the car after me and tells the customer that oh this isn't right or even the wrong type coolant in the car it makes me look bad.

The blue box raybestos professional grade is NICE stuff. If you aren't concerned about the variations in the moog, go for it, its good stuff too. I like TRW too but i found alot of their stuff isn't greaseable.

IDIDieselJohn

0-60....eventually
Reaction score
If you plan on keeping the truck for a long time.

- Moog

If your just fixing it up to sale it certified or something

- Any cheap brand LOL

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't been overly impressed with MOOG; it's okay but it ain't great.

A few years back, I bought just about everything that wiggles or moves on the front-end of my 1985 F-350 from ROCKAUTO --- all SPICER.

They had three grades of SPICER for everything; economy, O.E.M. equivalent, and commercial-grade.

I split the middle and got the O.E.M. grade, as the commercial-grade was about twice the money and I was sort of buying a pig in a poke; who is to say that it might have all been the same. :dunno

Anything that could possibly be greasable had an Alemite fitting; I demand that on anything I buy.

Everything I got was A-ONE and I have thus far been well pleased. :)

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
I haven't been overly impressed with MOOG; it's okay but it ain't great.

A few years back, I bought just about everything that wiggles or moves on the front-end of my 1985 F-350 from ROCKAUTO --- all SPICER.

They had three grades of SPICER for everything; economy, O.E.M. equivalent, and commercial-grade.

I split the middle and got the O.E.M. grade, as the commercial-grade was about twice the money and I was sort of buying a pig in a poke; who is to say that it might have all been the same. :dunno

Anything that could possibly be greasable had an Alemite fitting; I demand that on anything I buy.

Everything I got was A-ONE and I have thus far been well pleased. :)

Its funny you mention spicer, i ordered inner tie rods for a ****** last friday. one box was branded spicer, the other was raybestos. both blue. Same part inside the boxes. Now the Raybestos service grade in the red box? RUN! chinese/indian crap!

My driveshaft guy used to say the same thing about the chinese joints. We tried some brute force brand joints from neapco. I can't tell you how soft that metal is, i twisted every single one of them. He got me these hardened chinese joints in a blue box with no name. I have beat the living crap out of my truck (including a hard take off last night chasing down a hyundai accent that cut me off) and i've never had an issue with these joints in any of the vehicles i've had. Sorry that was off target but i usually flame on the import crap parts but i did have to throw this out on the joints.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ZTSpridgen

Members online