Which is better to build and why?

3Kp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Going to give a little history/story of my issue.

I have a 94 Idit motor that blew up (not sure if its savable yet, doubt it!) I trades a set of fenders for a 6.9 unknown condition of the motor to put into the 94. I decided to break the motor down to reseal it before putting it into the truck. Found rust down 2 cylinders and oil on top of one piston all on passenger side, So this may require little more work then hoped for.

My crew cab I use to haul my camper (3000 LB roughly) has a na 7.3. It has developed a head problem from what I can tell from talking to friends. ( broken spring, valve stuck) haven't messed with it yet.

With knowing what I have to do to get the heads off it would be better to pull the motor out. But first need to finish the 6.9 motor.

Here's my question Which is better to build and why. Should I take the 6.9 and install performance parts in it or the 7.3. I believe the lower half is in good shape on the 7.3. but the 6.9 needs lower end work. My goal is to be able to haul that camper like it's not really on there. Currently in my state of IN. These little hills I go from 70mph to 50mph trying to climb them. not sure if possible but would like to go a little faster up the hills. I have 2 factory turbo kits so both trucks will get one. The 94 is just a back up vehicle not really going to get worked more of an earns truck.

Thank you,

Michael

austin92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm in Brazil Indiana. Where you at? The only real difference is, do you prefer the larger diameter head bolts of the 7.3 or the thicker cylinder walls of the 6.9? The factory turbo engines had larger diameter wrist pins and I believe better flowing oil ports

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if the 6.9 needs lower end work, I would pull the 7.3 and find out whats wrong with it before I made a decision.

make sure you mag either sets of heads

I couldn't make a determination unless I knew the shape of both.

3Kp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm in Brazil Indiana. Where you at?

South side Indy. I did know the wall thickness and studs were different. Just not sure if I built the 6.9 I could achieve my goal at towing capacity

3Kp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if the 6.9 needs lower end work, I would pull the 7.3 and find out whats wrong with it before I made a decision.

make sure you mag either sets of heads

I couldn't make a determination unless I knew the shape of both.

Let's say hypothetically both engines were the same condition?

Sorry never built a motor before what do you mean by mag the heads?

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
magnafluxing the heads,
its a process the machine shop does to detect cracks.
these heads on both engines, ive experienced cracks in a lot of them.
more on the 6.9's and ive never even ran one more than a week before I pulled it.

so I would say get this done to the 6.9 heads before you make a decision

Reactions: 3Kp

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
South side Indy. I did know the wall thickness and studs were different. Just not sure if I built the 6.9 I could achieve my goal at towing capacity
Only 24 cubic inches difference

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not really gaining power with the 7.3 over 6.9. I agree with what has been posted above. Open the 7.3 and see what shape it is in. Either way, make sure the heads on either IDI are in good shape (cracks, warps, guides, valves, seats, rockers,...). Most machine shops I've dealt with treat these head like SBC heads.... Not good.

I had to drive to Louisville, KY (2.5 hours one way) to find a shop I trusted with my 6.9 heads.

The rust in the cylinders on the 6.9 can be from a head gasket of just condensation from an open valve. Oil on top of the piston.......... gasket or head issue, gotta dig deeper.

Heath

Last edited:

3Kp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not really gaining power with the 7.3 over 6.9. I agree with what has been posted above. Open the 7.3 and see what shape it is in. Either way, make sure the heads on either IDI are in good shape (cracks, warps, guides, valves, seats, rockers,...). Most machine shops I've dealt with treat these head like SBC heads.... Not good.

I had to drive to Louisville, KY (2.5 hours one way) to find a shop I trusted with my 6.9 heads.

The rust in the cylinders on the 6.9 can be from a head gasket of just condensation from an open valve. Oil on top of the piston.......... gasket or head issue, gotta dig deeper.

Heath

I was hoping for your input since I believe you have a built 6.9

Travis was impressed with a machine shop in Greenfield think I'll probably give them a shot. If I don't have a fuzzy feeling may ask you for the info on the one you used. It's about 2.5-3 hrs away one way for me

Snowmanw900

Reaction score
@3Kp , i live over around dayton/ Columbus Ohio area.

Im still trying to find a good machine shop i trust since the old one i used closed down.

Will you let me know if you find a good machine shop. Im bout to have a set of 1994 7.3 idit rebuilt to complete an engine build im doing now

Last edited:

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Travis and I talked about the shop here in Greenfield, which is the shop that did all the head and machine work on his SBC in the Red Square Body. Travis mentioned needing to get the heads looked at on his other truck, just in passing while the SBC heads were there, and the guy asked what it was, and Trav said an 86 Ford with a diesel... the guy at the machine shop's eyes lit up and he smiled and said that's an IDI, I have the tool to cut the heads WITH the cups in them..... they had a long discussion about them after that, and Travis said that is where he was going to take the heads off the Grey truck when he tore it down. Many people in Greenfield/Hancock County said if you want good machine work, go to this machine shop, there are other shops that are known for their tuning so you can go fast, but they said for machine work, go to this guy....

The shop is:
Whetsel's Automotive Inc.
43 Hough St.
Greenfield, IN 46140
(317) 462-9461

He is just off Main Street (US-40) not far from Dairy Queen here in Greenfield.

If I need machine work, he is who I plan on using.......

3Kp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Scott. Travis was over here last week to drop off a tool set so I could get stripped bolts out. We were talking about that place but I didn't ask where it was. I have 3 sets of head that need attention.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I can say that if you put a turbo on either engine, you should bee a big difference in towing power. Maybe the oil on top of the piston was from it being stored on it's side with the pan full of oil. It could have seeped by the rings.

3Kp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can say that if you put a turbo on either engine, you should bee a big difference in towing power. Maybe the oil on top of the piston was from it being stored on it's side with the pan full of oil. It could have seeped by the rings.

That's a good possibility not sure how it was stored before I got it. It was up right when I brought it home/in-laws since they have a garage I can use.

austin92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Travis and I talked about the shop here in Greenfield, which is the shop that did all the head and machine work on his SBC in the Red Square Body. Travis mentioned needing to get the heads looked at on his other truck, just in passing while the SBC heads were there, and the guy asked what it was, and Trav said an 86 Ford with a diesel... the guy at the machine shop's eyes lit up and he smiled and said that's an IDI, I have the tool to cut the heads WITH the cups in them..... they had a long discussion about them after that, and Travis said that is where he was going to take the heads off the Grey truck when he tore it down. Many people in Greenfield/Hancock County said if you want good machine work, go to this machine shop, there are other shops that are known for their tuning so you can go fast, but they said for machine work, go to this guy....

The shop is:
Whetsel's Automotive Inc.
43 Hough St.
Greenfield, IN 46140
(317) 462-9461

He is just off Main Street (US-40) not far from Dairy Queen here in Greenfield.

If I need machine work, he is who I plan on using.......

That is valuable information, thank you. I've tried 2 machine shops, one in greencastle and one in terre haute. Both have not replaced the parts I asked them to or didn't do all the work I asked them to. I have severe trust issues on whether on not any place magnafluxs or shot peens