Which Group 31 Battery?

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
I know this has been beaten to death but I want to get a quick reference on which group 31 I should get for my 83. I have custom battery trays so its not like thats an issue. I would like to only buy a Napa Legend 75 or Legend 84. Those are supposedly still made in the US. Also does anyone have a Napa Part number for the terminal adapters required? I believe they are basically a post that screws into the battery bolt hole.
Thank you guys!

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The two group 31s napa had when i was in the market were stud or post tops so you needed regular clamps or ring terminal style.

jhnlennon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can get group 31's in either POST or STUD type terminals so you shouldn't need any adpaters.

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
31s are semi truck batts that have high discharge times of several hours and are readily available and affordable. They are deep cycle batteries rather than starter batteries...

I wanna say these ones i bought were rated at 30 amps for 10 hours reserve time each. Ever see semis parked with their lights on?

Not only that, but the internals are beefier. Commercial vs regular. Look at the weight differences. Something like twice as heavy (45: gr 65 vs 90:gr31 IIRC.) The plates are thicker.

Last edited:

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
I guess I didn't realize the warranties on the group 31's were so short. I'm going to have to justify half the warranty for 400 more CCA's.