which duramax to buy

truckbound

Reaction score
I am looking to buy a used duramax GMC or Chevy between the years of 01-04. Is there any reason to shy away from any particular year or have there been any known problems with certain year duramax diesels. Any help/info much appriciated. Thanks

rebel_horseman

Rt. Wing Extremist
Reaction score
I bought a slightly used '01 model around August '02. The truck was nice and I modded the exhaust and put on a Juice box. The truck ran like a scalded dog. Unfortunately at 70k miles the injectiom was toast (not because of the Juice, because of a bad design.)

The '01 and '02 LB7 engines have the fuel supply lines ran underneath the valve covers and hooked to the injectors. Well from what I"ve been told by the shop, I had several of those stainless steel lines rusted off at the injector. To make a long story short, I had 8 new lines, 8 new injectors, and a new HP fuel pump installed and it cost me $100 for the deductable. I"ve also read that the culprit is the fuel filter that does not filter out enough particulates adn eats up the Bosch hardware.

I've heard that this is a fairly common problem on the early trucks. However, my uncle had a '01 with 135k and a '02 with about 160k on it and they never had a day's problem. These are farm trucks and are used hard and both of them ran great. So I dunno.

From what I've gathered the '03 trucks started getting right and by '04 they were pretty much bug free. But I've been out of the Maxi Pad loop since '03 so I can't say for sure but I would own a '04 and up if I was buying.

turbohaulic

Smoke Em'
Reaction score
01 and 02 are basically the same both have LB7's in them, the 03 has the new body style with LB7's as well. In 04 they changed to the LLY. The LLY was improved torque & HP:thumbsup: , but lost fuel milage:eek: . IMO I would go with an 03, if you add a chip, exhaust, and intake you will get plenty of power and the better milage.;Sweet

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online