Which cam to use Type4 or R&D idi cam

CBRF3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am curious as to which is better for towing with turbo I have read tons of the threads but most are very old and instead of posting in one of them I am starting a new one I am after towing performance and do not care about max HP I am after torgue.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last I heard Rus'z
Ask him and justin directly for info, gauge response time in delivery time.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am curious as to which is better for towing with turbo I have read tons of the threads but most are very old and instead of posting in one of them I am starting a new one I am after towing performance and do not care about max HP I am after torgue.
@typ4
They are very comparable from what anyone could tell without a direct dyno comparison, however Russ' cam has been around much longer and his gains are a bit lower in the RPM range. Justin was going more for upper end performance and drivability, and Russ had the lower end plus drivability in mind.
That said Russ' cam will pull hard to redline when needed, from all accounts. Getting the correct valve recession is absolutely key here, as you already know.

That all said IIRC the difference was only about 300 RPMs between the two cam profiles but that's enough to make a difference.
This was all based on dyno runs of pickups with the cams and similar turbo setups, but of course not apples to apples really since IP tuning and other small changes make such a difference. But going on when the curves really start moving above a maxed out stock cam run for comparison you got an idea of when the cam really came to life.

Hope that helps some, we just don't have any direct comparisons since it's so much work to change a cam. Nobody does it without changing 5-10 other variables too.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Typ4

Use his cam in my 6.9 crew cab. Used the truck to haul the camper until I bought the F450. It gets all the towing duty now.

Love to drive the 6.9 from time to time. Crazy good empty. Just not as impressive as the F450 when pulling a load.

Heath

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dieselmainiac

Members online