Where to plug this vacuum line in

Suleiman Saadeh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also now that my lines are hooked up right sometimes the truck cranks with ac in the vents but sometimes itll be defrost and when I get to about 45-50 itll change to vents

Randy Bush

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If booster is leaking see if they will warrantee it out , and make sure you use the check valve that comes with the new and don't remove it from the booster, warrantee problems.

Suleiman Saadeh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I changed the brake booster but it still doesnt hold vacuum according to the hand pump and gauge. If I remove the check valve and put my thumb on the end the vacuum holds but as soon as I put it in the booster no vacuum.

Suleiman Saadeh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could the brake booster be bad or am I missing something? When I took the old one out and pressed on the shaft that goes into the master cylinder it released air. Same with the new but no vacuum when I connect s pump to the hose

Suleiman Saadeh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Correct it only produces about 5inhg but if I take the hose off the vacuum pump and connect it to the hand pump pictured shouldn't there still be a vacuum throughout the rest of the system of hoses and brake booster?

Or is the vaccum in the booster only there when you press the pedal down? I just thought about that.

You must be registered for see images attach

Randy Bush

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With that kind of vacuum nothing is going to work right until you get it higher, Not sure what is normal where you are at. Mine is 15 to 20 I believe, 3500 feet. I wouls wait until get the new pump on then check things out.

Suleiman Saadeh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm only 30ft above sea level. But when I get the pump tomorrow I'll see what it does. I would think though that if the booster runs on a vacuum that it would hold a vaccum when connected to a pump.

When I put the new booster in the pedal went from being hard to just going to the floor and occasionally being hard at higher speeds which I figured was due to getting more vacuum from the pump at those higher speeds

Randy Bush

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are talking about it holding with a hand pump , don't think it will ever happen. To much of a tank to draw down. Anyhow hope things are better with the new pump once you get it on.

Slicknik

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2 cents

If your pump doesn't reach 20 inhg in 35 seconds from start up , you have a bad pump , but your hose running from your pump to the fitting on the fire wall should be connected on my to a gauge (detached from system) if it takes 30-60 seconds you have a weak pump .

If you have vacuum (15+) and you watch the gauge as you step on the brake and it drops immediately to ~5 you have a bad booster.

Next you need to detach each line individual at the 5 way by taking the hose off and plugging It with the vacuum gauge , then start the truck and see if your vacuum numbers change , higher or lower then turn the truck off and let it sit and see if they system leaks out . This will help identify which line is leaking.

And you also need to check your one way valve , this is the item that sits on the booster , I would just change it but to check if it's working , disconnect all lines and plug them except the one that goes to the booster/check valve , (and the vac pump line that goes to the 5 way obviously) have it our gauge plumped into one of the 5 way and run the truck till you get to fill vac then turn the truck off and see if it drops , time/how much vac your loosing will determine if your check valve is any good.

Suleiman Saadeh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I already checked for leaks like you are suggesting. All the lines are good. And so is the one way valve.

I had everything hose hooked up except the vacuum pump which the hose connected to it was connected to the hand pump and guage. If I took the valve off the booster and held my finger over it the system of hoses would hold vacuum when the pump was squeezed but if put the valve in the booster it wouldn't hold vacuum.

All the lines are good and everything is air tight except when the check valve is in the booster I was just trying to find out if that was normal or not.

Suleiman Saadeh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Vacuum pump solved the problem all around it would seem. From brakes to ac vents. I just need to get all the air out of my brake system and itll be back right 100%.

Randy Bush

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With a hand pump it would take 1/2 hr or more to pull the system down to 20 and hold, all connected it is a large system. Ever notice how long it takes to suck an A/C down.

Suleiman Saadeh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I see what your saying. I never thought about the fact that it had to pull all that air. I was thinking as soon as it was pumped it would start going up....probably warranted that booster for nothing lol