Where to mount electric pump

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When calling out for specific data, doesn't that go beyond just suck-n-blow? You yourself indicated it was important in the above. I gave you a spec sheet to review for your specific application since you didn't specify....and a resource too!

I don't need that data, I have what I need already, it's simple if it sucks and pumps to the engine and is the correct pressure for the application I'm happy.

My point was regardless of application some tmes the data just insnt there cause by chance it's proprietary and not released. If the unit works for it's designed application that should be sufficient, we are attempting and successfully I might add, to use a pump outside its NOP which is ok if you accept that it may or may not fulfull the need you have. It is your choice to use something outside it's normal applied intent.

I'm using things modded all the time or designed for one thing and using them for another accepting responsibility for that decision and not whining cause I cannot find data, if it works great if not, cut and move on;Sweet

Oh ya, If this supplies enough fuel at a constant rate of pressure that can be regulated at the pump head with a boost sensing regulator I'll be getting one. If not, might be something else, I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

CaptTom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't need that data, I have what I need already, it's simple if it sucks and pumps to the engine and is the correct pressure for the application I'm happy.

My point was regardless of application some tmes the data just insnt there cause by chance it's proprietary and not released. If the unit works for it's designed application that should be sufficient, we are attempting and successfully I might add, to use a pump outside its NOP which is ok if you accept that it may or may not fulfull the need you have. It is your choice to use something outside it's normal applied intent.

I'm using things modded all the time or designed for one thing and using them for another accepting responsibility for that decision and not whining cause I cannot find data, if it works great if not, cut and move on;Sweet

Oh ya, If this supplies enough fuel at a constant rate of pressure that can be regulated at the pump head with a boost sensing regulator I'll be getting one. If not, might be something else, I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

So not caring about specs isn't important to you no matter what.

Compromises you can and are willing to deal with.

I prefer to start with facts that are closer to the end game than building, tearing apart and rebuilding again. Some people have the time for it, the money to waste on it and generally don't give a whole lotta care about the end result.

Money and time are more important to me to keep. Using laissez faire as my guide isn't productive nor desired. Plus, a person can make a whole ton lot more cash with specifics than mealy mouthed BS.

It's been nice playing with the hyperbolic crowd this afternoon, but has not resolved the fact that Purolator/Facet is lame in the regards stated.

Any more of the BS rants, in spite of proof that this info is readily available with various pump manufacturers other than Purolator cookoo , is just a waste of band width, so I'll letcha go stroke your pumps until tomorrow. :rotflmao

84-6.9IdI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With these pumps can they Just be used as a priming pump of sorts and not have to be run all the time? Do they allow fuel to be pumped through them without being run is my question. I am thinking of using one to make starting it easier if the truck runs out of fuel.

CaptTom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With these pumps can they Just be used as a priming pump of sorts and not have to be run all the time? Do they allow fuel to be pumped through them without being run is my question. I am thinking of using one to make starting it easier if the truck runs out of fuel.

Not to be adversarial here... but, because there is no pump "TYPE" listed in the "SPECIFICATIONS", we don't really know if it's a flow through pump.

If this is an eccentric pump they operate off of partial suction through a check valve, rotate around and "PUSHES" the fuel out of it. I think that is what the "TICKING" sound is in the pump...the check valve that is.

The eccentric pumps, depending on which "TYPE" of eccentric it is, may have a single round pumping device that rotates like a rotary engine. What this means is, there is a blockage or restricted section of the pump which may not allow for good flow through to do as you want.

There is an "INNIE" port that a wide gap is rotated over by a central wheel, closing the gap, the pump then continues to rotate decreasing the gap as it rolls to the "OUTTIE" port, pushing fuel out of the pump.

The check valve prevents the fuel from squishing back to the "INNIE" as they are not sealed units. Imagine a plastic wheel running a race around either a plastic or aluminum housing. The two do not seal real well, but the rate it turns makes it so it doesn't matter.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i think the countless hours of pulling up to the refer in actual field tests kinda points a guy to the conclusion if you mount them to pull from up in the engine bay,the odd's of them outlasting the truck is more than likely.no spec beats actual field testing results.
when in doubt,use the old KISS method.;)

Tim4

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Yes and no.

The install we just finished has a check valve after the electric pump and check valve after the mechanical pump.

The truck normally runs off of the mechanical pump attached to the block. Because there is a check valve after the e-pump, the m-pump can pump away without bothering the e-pump.

When the the truck ran out fuel the other day, we dumped fuel in, hit the e-button for a few moments, purged a little air at the filter head, and drove off. Because there is a check valve after the m-pump, the e-pump was able to prime the filter and lines.

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is the way to do it ^^^^^
I've ran mine out of fuel in the middle of an intersection, and it only took about 10 seconds of pushing buttons from the drivers seat to get it running again.

CaptTom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is the way to do it ^^^^^
I've ran mine out of fuel in the middle of an intersection, and it only took about 10 seconds of pushing buttons from the drivers seat to get it running again.

The question is: "Is it a flow through or is it a bypass installation?"

Judging by Tim4's brief installation notes, it is a by-pass installation, because possibly- we have no pump "TYPE" data or SPECIFICATIONS" sheet, the pump isn't good at flow-through, due to restrictions in the assembly. Now I don't know if Tim4 tried to install as a flow through first, without good success, or if he installed with the assumption it wouldn't do good as a flow through and just did it upon intuition..... HOWEVER, a "SPEC" sheet would remove all doubt and save everyone one helluvalotta time thinking about it.

FORDF250HDXLT said:
i think the countless hours of pulling up to the refer in actual field tests kinda points a guy to the conclusion if you mount them to pull from up in the engine bay,the odd's of them outlasting the truck is more than likely.no spec beats actual field testing results.
when in doubt,use the old KISS method.

The longevity of the pump has no bearing on the installation. :rolleyes:

All specs make for better installations. ;Really

Tim4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The question is: "Is it a flow through or is it a bypass installation?"

Judging by Tim4's brief installation notes, it is a by-pass installation, because possibly- we have no pump "TYPE" data or SPECIFICATIONS" sheet, the pump isn't good at flow-through, due to restrictions in the assembly. Now I don't know if Tim4 tried to install as a flow through first, without good success, or if he installed with the assumption it wouldn't do good as a flow through and just did it upon intuition..... HOWEVER, a "SPEC" sheet would remove all doubt and save everyone one helluvalotta time thinking about it.

Yes to bypass install.

I bought the pump because it didn't seem like it would hurt to have the electric boost. It was rated at about the right flow and correct psi.

I chose to install it in a way that appeared to me to be both logical and practical. I could not care less about the pumps innards. Spec sheets concerning the mechanism would not help me because I probably would not read them and would try my own way anyhow.

It seems as if a good number of people have had success with this pump. Installing it in a way that made sense to them. I chose to do the same.

So far, so good

CaptTom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes to bypass install.

I bought the pump because it didn't seem like it would hurt to have the electric boost. It was rated at about the right flow and correct psi.

I chose to install it in a way that appeared to me to be both logical and practical. I could not care less about the pumps innards. Spec sheets concerning the mechanism would not help me because I probably would not read them and would try my own way anyhow.

It seems as if a good number of people have had success with this pump. Installing it in a way that made sense to them. I chose to do the same.

So far, so good

Knowing whatcha got is always useful, even when you wanna do it your own way.

Whether or not one chooses to read the stuffing is up to the installer, but how many times you read a spec sheet and got an even better idea for use based on some unknown or added benefit not commonly exploited.

I'd venture to say when buying a turbo, many DIY installers pucker up with the SPEC/DATA sheet either before installation, when they get stuck or if it doesn't operate as advertised.

Very disappointing. :bs

finitetime

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't read the entire thread so if this has been said I'm sorry.

Mounting the pump high is a bad idea for one reason. These trucks have problems with air getting into the fuel system allowing the fuel to drain back to the tank. You will have to have good pump that can prime itself and possibly start the day out pumping dry would shorten the life of the pump. Not to mention longer starting time waiting on the pump to prime.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
Not to mention longer starting time waiting on the pump to prime.

if you have your pump wired into key-on circuit then when you turn the key on to cycle the glow plugs the pump would fire up and begin purging the air from the system and then by the time the glows are done the air would be out of the system. if it takes more than 10-15 secs of e-pump running to get rid of the air then i would say you have a MAJOR air intrusion and it needs to be fixed.

finitetime

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you have your pump wired into key-on circuit then when you turn the key on to cycle the glow plugs the pump would fire up and begin purging the air from the system and then by the time the glows are done the air would be out of the system. if it takes more than 10-15 secs of e-pump running to get rid of the air then i would say you have a MAJOR air intrusion and it needs to be fixed.

This is true. But I hope for the best and plan for the worst. Especially when it doesn't cost any more money to eliminate a maybe or probably won't.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin

Members online