When were the rockers upgraded?

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No one knows or cares? Surprising. Mine is an 86 built in 1985. It has the old style strap rockers. I thought about upgrading them when I did my turbo...didn't do it though. They still sit in a box waiting in case I have a problem or get ambitious one day. I've heard(but don't know for a fact) 1987.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FWIW, I think JD's right...I think they switched in '87, either for the new model year or when they switched to the 7.3l.

I'd still like to see a set of roller rockers available...just for longevity's sake :D

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, they were updated in the 6.9 in 1987. A lot of 7.3 upgrades were applied to the last 6.9's including the rockers, glow plug controller, and accessory arrangment (serp belt) Ford discontinued the 6.9 rocker design some time ago and now the 7.3 rockers are considered the standard replacement part for both engines. Not sure where the no one knows or cares comment came from??? :dunno

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've thought about the roller rocker conversion too. The problem with that is that they need taller valve covers to clear them and with the factory fuel filter I dont see it workin. Also might need to get longer/shorter pushrods.
I might work on this a little more when I get workin on the 93.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd still like to see a set of roller rockers available...just for longevity's sake :D

I second that notion. Might also be nice to have some custom Valve covers too....maybe it's time to build a nice set of aluminum ones eh?

Start with a nice 5/16 plate the shape of the gasket as a base and just use some good ole fashioned 3/16 plate cut and pieced together then welded together as a cover shape with some really nice tig welds and then polished....might be sweet!

just a cookoo thought eh:thumbsup:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrannonB

Members online