When was the 6.9L block re-enforced in 1985?

IDIDieselJohn

0-60....eventually
Reaction score
Strong possibility I might end up with a 1985 6.9L complete engine. From a U-pull it scrap yard.

VIN and date on the truck are faded and damaged so can't see that, but all the stickers on the engine are perfectly intact.

Passenger side valve cover sticker says engine was made in APRIL 1985. Is this a good block? Or the weak block heater ones? The block heater cord is sticking out the grill....

The truck is a cab/chassis F350 4 speed dually, landscaping truck. Body rotted to hell with only 108,675km (67,921 miles) writen on the dash. 6 digit odo.

Engine looks great, no leaks, no rust, oil is low, only hardly touching the dip stick, but it does look good. Not dark black like you would expect. And he seems to have a manual glow plug setup in the cab. Radiator is low/empty, no visible water in top tank, and all rows look pretty clogged with white crap. Fan clutch feels great.

Also has a brand new exhaust from the manifolds all the way behind the axle.

What do you guys think?

(this engine would be for a small side weekend project to drop this thing in the F150)

I did do a quick search, but can't find a date to witch I might know if it's a stronger block or not. I only found references to casting numbers.

bghnkinf350

Reaction score
Check the serial number on the pad to the right of the IP, looking from the front of the truck. If you check the forum (not sure where it is Though) there are break downs by serial number of the updates to the engine.

IDIDieselJohn

0-60....eventually
Reaction score
I know about the serial number but didn't look for that when I was there.

If someone knows witch month they started making the stronger block, that be great!