wheel bearing race stuck on axle

bullwhip

Reaction score
I went on a powerstroke site couldn't find any help I have 2000 Ford Excursion 4 by 4 diesel. driver side rear wheel locked up when I got home I took it apart only to find the outter race is stuck on the axle so I can't even get hub off. has anybody dealt with this before. thanks in advance

bullwhip

Reaction score
I heated the race with a butane torch for 15 minutes a cold the axle with ice cold rag and continue beating on it with a hammer still cannot get the hub to budge

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Wow... Thats gonna be a tuff one. Probably going to need an cutting torch now to cut it out. Might try a Map Gas torch. they burn much hotter than a propane torch will. Any hardware store sells them. Lowes or home depot. Then its a cutting torch like an acetylene oxygen torch and cut the center rollers out.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If its that bad the stub is prolly ruined. If so there are mobile guys that can weld em up and turn them down on the truck.

bullwhip

Reaction score
I'm thinking it might be cheaper to get an axle from junk yard. I need to replace driver side leaf because of an accident anyway.

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just dealt with that on a D 70. I ended up cutting the race off with a grinder. then had to grind the axle stub down to remove the bits of race that had welded themselves to the stub. Amazingly that was 20K ago and its still working fine. I did have to replace the drum.

bullwhip

Reaction score
ended up using air chisel to drive a race back on the hub then I use an old bearing and the retraining nut as a spacer put the actual back inside the hub and used an impact to tighten up all the nuts and a star pattern came right off thanks for the help guys

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Glad you got it off. Why did it freeze up anyway.. Kind of an odd thing to happen up front...

bullwhip

Reaction score
No oil. Took 2.5 quart ' to fill rear axle back up. Going to ck with the guys who are supposed to be cking the oil in rear different when I get my oil changed. See how this got passed them since I have no visible oil leaks.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most quick lube places are too busy trying to sell you a wallet flush to be bothered with checking axle oils.

bullwhip

Reaction score
True but I been going to the same place for two years. They should not have told me that have ck it if they didn't. They go so far as to show me a sample of all the oils in my truck.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
No oil. Took 2.5 quart ' to fill rear axle back up. Going to ck with the guys who are supposed to be cking the oil in rear different when I get my oil changed. See how this got passed them since I have no visible oil leaks.

Another member here had the same thing happen.

The old saying "want it done right, do it yourself."

Sent from my USCC-C6721 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online