What's the best I/P timing for Towing

THECACKLER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I finally found somebody within driving distance that can set my timing with a Pulse meter. My question is what's the best I/P timing for Towing. I'm not looking for brutal power but rather engine longevity and cooler operation. I see some are running 9.5* to 9.7* advanced. Is this at 2000 RPM? Does this increased advance have any detrimental effects?

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I finally found somebody within driving distance that can set my timing with a Pulse meter. My question is what's the best I/P timing for Towing. I'm not looking for brutal power but rather engine longevity and cooler operation. I see some are running 9.5* to 9.7* advanced. Is this at 2000 RPM? Does this increased advance have any detrimental effects?

No bad effects. All this does is make up for the power and mileage lost when the fuel formula was changed as the burn rate changed with the new fuel you need to adjust the timing to compensate. 9.7 is still well within the factory original specification limits of 8.5 + or - 2 deg which would allow up to 10.5 or down to 6.5 ( which would really suck) and that was only considering 500ppm fuel, but there still is some 500 ppm fuel floating around out there so you wouldn't want to be considering it out of the mix.

Silver Burner

Burnin' Oil&Rubber
Reaction score
I need to figure out how to time my truck.....I can time any gas motor, but I've never done it on a diesel.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of timing above 9 degrees. I've had issues with it and WMO eating glow plug tips. I stick to the 8.5 and even with the newer fuel, I haven't gotten any unfavorable results. The changes in fuel have decreased the energy in it, but not the flash point. If you want more energy, just push your foot down further.

plywood

Recovered N/A
Reaction score
I need to figure out how to time my truck.....I can time any gas motor, but I've never done it on a diesel.

I've got a wrench that works.

I've done mine several times playing with it and seem to come back to the same spot.

I could show you how to make the change, it can be done in about 20 minutes pretty easily.

I don't have a meter, but for me with the fact that your injectors and IP are always slowly changing and with different fuels and what not I figure I want to do it by ear so I'll know when it's right or wrong in the future.

Silver Burner

Burnin' Oil&Rubber
Reaction score
Whenever you got time, man. I might want to retime it anyway once I get this 3" system put on and get rid of the old dual 2 1/4"'s

FordGuy100

Reaction score
The reason for the change in timing was because the cetane rating is ULSD is different than LSD.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's correct. The Cetane rating is Higher thus, it combusts Sooner so theoretically, we should be retarding our timing. Not advancing it, if your trying to compensate.

THECACKLER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well the hits just keep on coming.. The shop called me and told me they can't do it. Somebody borrowed their meter. So I'm back to square one. I'm thinking I must need to get the equipment myself.
So what do I need? A Ferret 765 for 1/4" lines and an inductive timing light or is there more to it than that? I have an inductive timing light but not fancy. No advanced microprocessor googlephonic moonrock supersonic warp drive hoopla. Just a plain jane clip over the wire timing light. What do I need?
And What's the deal with the 5/16" pickup used in the Timing Cover at the Harmonic Balancer?
If it helps I've got my HB degreed every 10. I did that while it was off. Will that and the Ferret 765 get me there?

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of timing above 9 degrees. I've had issues with it and WMO eating glow plug tips. I stick to the 8.5 and even with the newer fuel, I haven't gotten any unfavorable results. The changes in fuel have decreased the energy in it, but not the flash point. If you want more energy, just push your foot down further.

THen again, WMO is an unknown variable here as far as the burn rate , but considering that it likely has a higher sulfur content and would be prone to run hotter, then I would be inclined to agree with you that 8.5 would be a wise choice for someone running a steady diet of WMO. But when the new fuel came out set at 8,5 my truck became instantly castrated and the fuel mileage dropped about 3 +mpg along with a lot of other peoples, and bringing it to 9.7 has recovered it back to the levels before the fuel was changed. No adverse effects on glow plugs,They still look like new, but I'm not running any alternative fuels.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Well the hits just keep on coming.. The shop called me and told me they can't do it. Somebody borrowed their meter. So I'm back to square one. I'm thinking I must need to get the equipment myself.
So what do I need? A Ferret 765 for 1/4" lines and an inductive timing light or is there more to it than that? I have an inductive timing light but not fancy. No advanced microprocessor googlephonic moonrock supersonic warp drive hoopla. Just a plain jane clip over the wire timing light. What do I need?
And What's the deal with the 5/16" pickup used in the Timing Cover at the Harmonic Balancer?
If it helps I've got my HB degreed every 10. I did that while it was off. Will that and the Ferret 765 get me there?
A ferret and an inductive timing light with an advance feature on it. Doesn't have to have a bunch of fancy stuff but it does have to have the advance setting on the light. The Ferret comes with the adapter for our size lines , you can purchase others extra. THis place is cheapest