Whats a good degreaser for a chassis?

Highridge

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Cincinnati Guy

Reaction score
Ive became fond of cheap ole Dollar General oven cleaner, works great on the grease, just dont let it get dry or its a PITA to get off as it gets crusty. I have also used Greased Lightening with good results.

Highridge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I'm gonna spray it on with the pressure washer but I dont think I want to use anything that leaves any type of residue that would affect the paint.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Once you get it degreased, spray it down with brake clean, it will remove any residue, greasy finger prints, etc. I've done engines that way forever, no matter how clean they are before you start assembly, you always get some assembly lube somewhere! I always sprat them down with brake clean, let it dry or blow it dry, then apply primer...has always worked well.

PackRat

Buzzard Pilot
Reaction score
iv used steam cleaners with good results

Yeah, what he said.

When I was @ K-W, the racers would bring their bare frames out, for steam cleaning, before they started building them. As it turns out, most were in perfect condition, on the left front horn, from the p/s fluid, engine oil, etc. buildup. Pretty funny lookin', nice even rust brown frame, with one white metal corner.

When you have an $11,000 wash system, word gets out.

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
commercial "general purpose degreaser" (the purple stuff, not the blue) from EcoLab for the restaurants works great, it's about $15/gallon

jperecko

Diesel Ape
Reaction score
spray it down with diesel and let that soak in... then chase that with some purple stuff or equivalent... works great on cement and I can only imagine would work just as well on chassis. I would normally say oven cleaner but that stuff WILL eat paint... good for axles and such though.

Scrapper

Reaction score
My family restores antique tractors...they use oven cleaner extensively to remove old paint. Spray it down...let it soak in...the blow it off. I would guess if you used oven cleaner and then steam clean you would have a bare frame when you were done. :D

pafixitman

Reaction score
i use one of those fert / weed killer tanks ( 1 gallon, pump to spray) and spray on ZEP degreaser (avail at the orange box) let it soak a bit and then hit it w/ the pressure washer.