What would you do....

saltbranch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sold my F350 awhile back, so I am diesel free currently. Now I have this very clean 91 Toyota Tacoma,v-6, 5spd with 180k on it. Runs like a champ its been side project for awhile...my play toy. So now this guy at work, bought a 92 f-250 about 6 months ago, very clean truck and he got a good deal on it. Has been having trouble with o-rings on the injectors leak, the jumper lines leak....not really his cup of tea working on these trucks. His truck is around 270k on miles, 5spd, some dead paint on the hood but other than that a good looking sound truck. I am wobbling on the fence, one hand my yota is a good,nice dependable runner, on the other hand the 7.3 in good shape with very minor issues can be a good dependable truck and there is just something about the smell of exhaust rolling out of the pipes of 7.3;Sweet
Opinions needed if you dont mind

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
What do you typically do with your trucks? Fuel mileage should be pretty close but the diesel is way more dough to maintain. I personally would lose my marbles in a 'Yota but thats just me.

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same as stated above diesel is more to maintain depends on you honestly what you like also stated above I would loose it in the yota big time plus my girl would call me a quear she swears any guy in a ranger or yota has to be gay does not have anything to do with it just thought I would add that since there was a chance I like the old yota 4x4 bt oh well I would choose the diesel if you ever needed more truck you would have it for all the yota cant do all and yes nothing smells like the smell of and idi 7.3 straight pipe gotta love diesel fumes there great lol somthing about my tractor drives me nuts and would never let mine go!! Good luck with ur choice

saltbranch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have 05 Chevy 1/2 ton for my daily driver and have hauled 5-5500 lbs with it. It did good considering its got the 4.3. In that case the f250 would be better. It would be more of a work toy I guess, meaning thats how I would gear the truck up for, hauling/pulling. Having a daily driver gives me the time to have a "play" vehicle to fix up. My chevy does 23-24 on the hwy if I stay around 65-70, so I got good mpg there. Do alot of hauling of ranch equipment,hay, posts etc
I tried doing the all in one with my old Ford and finally the breakdowns, small stuff..I finally sold it. I have rearranged my vehicles around to where I have good DD and now a good commutor truck too or could get me another hauler to play and have time to do it right

http://
You must be registered for see images

saltbranch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tried to have this discussion with the wife.....she gets so frustrated I end up getting....I Dont care just do whatever you want! :)

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Remember these trucks are 28 to 18 years old a long was from05 Chevy by the way that will take a huge toll on that rig back to before They will break There OLD OLD unless you do a FRAME OFF RESTO the lil things are expected I'm 20 and get frustrated my friends new truck doesn't break mines an 89 ive made my way all the way around my rig except seperate cab from frame and motor motors next frame is a lil more than I can handle at the moment and busy and need a nice rig no choice bt she's sound it takes time I strated at the rear end lol but thats kinda how it came along that ford can run on mixed waste fuels cool and doesn't cost alot to drive you can do alot in one weekend to one of these trucks there simple just pick a place and start for ur truck the inj lines all fuel lines glow plug test inj test timming check out wires top of motor you know all one weekend I bet she will make it all week like and old guy who shows the kids how is done tell you get some more time well that's how I like at. !!!!!!!!Do It I Would!!!!!! By the way my girl says the same thing she doesn't care as long as it pulls her horse trailer lol bt she says she likes an old ford!

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
Keep driving the Toyota man, nothing beats them. Unless you put on a lot of miles, then a diesel is always better than a gas pot. But just for regular stop and go driving, our idi don't really like that. I run an idi as a daily driver all winter, hauliing stuff or empty, and now I have my Toyota diesel on the road and the idi only moves when im hauling stuff. I love it, but it just dosen't compare.

Wyreth

Certifiable Noob
Reaction score
Honestly, I'd be weary of the yota. That sounds weird I know but I, and all my friends, have had NOTHING but trouble from that 3vz. If it was a 22r, that'd be a different story. You cannot kill those
motors.... period.

Also, you can run a WMO cocktail in the 250, and laugh at the Tacoma's fuel economy. Toyota makes a DAMN GOOD truck, but the 3vz-e v6 is a breakdown waiting to happen. The rest of the truck will last forever.

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have also tried having one truck do all my stuff from light long hauls on the highway, to daily driver with a lot of stop-n-go driving including city, to hauling heavy equipment like tractors and farm machinery on the gooseneck, to just easy cruising, but I found out that I needed a couple different vehicles for my needs. Ok, by couple I went overboard and just found myself with a fleet of trucks because I also like toys. And I tuned each vehicle for it's intended use. But I also have the farms where I can store my stuff when I am not using them.

My experience with toyotas is that they have been extremely reliable and easy to drive, but the newest I have dealt with is a 97 and that's because an X girlfriend drove one. I can't really say that I hate newer ones because one has never left me on the side of the road, and I would probably give one a chance if given one. But I would agree that a very attractive feature of the IDI is that with mine I have burned just about everything that would pop off in a diesel, and would honestly say that I love the smell of diesel and can deal with a small leak on the manifold (if stuck with it and couldn't repair it right away) and currently don't have any girlfriend that could possible complain about the smell. And let's face it, those old diesels are just easy to fix - which is good because there's usually something to repair on the old girls...

My opinion? Go for it! But then I know I have a need to haul heavy stuff. :peelout:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntjapkes

Members online