What tranny fluid in my C-6 ?

BKahler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, this is a dumb question but in poking around on google earlier today I noticed references to using Dexron II in a 1988 C-6 truck transmission instead of the Ford Type F.

Last time I topped the tranny off I used Type F. So, have I screwed up? :confused:

Thanks,

Brad

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ford switched to Dexron/Mercon in the early 80's.

The difference between that and Type F is that the Dexron/Mercon has friction modifiers to make the shifts softer (makes the clutches slip more before full engagement).

Type F should be fine in a C6, it was used in the C6 before they switched to Dexron/Mercon.

Using Type F in place of Type A/Suffix A or Dexron/Mercon is very common in drag racing to produce firmer shifts

BKahler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mr_Roboto, thanks for the info. I'll probably use Dexron II next time I drain the oil and change the filter on the tranny.

Thanks again,

Brad

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't know you could get Dexron II? I thought all they had now was IV and V, with IV being the current replacement.

BKahler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats a good point. Is the C-6 compatible with Dexron IV? I know I've seen Dexron III on shelves but don't recall seeing Dexron II anywhere.

By the way, mine is a 4x4 so is the Dexron II used in the transfer case as well?

Brad

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yea. Dextron IV for the transfer case as well.