What to expect when pulling Dana 70 drums...

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agnem said:
Rich, I'd need to see proof that a Dana 70 with removable drums exists, before I'll believe your claim. Not trying to disagree with you, but I've never seen or heard of one before. The Ford 10.25 looks so much like a Dana 70, that it would be easy to be mistaken. I sure WISH one exists, especially on the Moose Truck, as I never venture into the brakes except a couple times a decade because it is such a PITA.

no problem.not sure when i can get the wheels off and get pictures.im haveing serious issues that may result in the crushing of that truck tomorrow.and so you know what to look for it came out of a 97 E350 limo bus.its a dana 70HD

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay, related question...with the weather being the question mark that it is, I'm 99% certain that I'm going to go with towcat's offer and take the truck in. But, the shop is in Santa Clara...about 20 miles away. After less than 5 miles, the right rear wheel was smoking nice and good, so I certainly can't drive the truck as-is that far.

I know that there's an adjustment wheel that can be accessed from the outside...does that adjust both shoes, or just the "service" shoe? Can I back this off enough to get the wheel spinning freely (and therefore not having any rear brakes at all) just for the purpose of getting the truck to the shop, or should I just call AAA and be done with it?

BTW, towcat, I want to get the timing done and the glow plugs happy before bringing the truck to Mr. Kawano...I'm hoping the weather holds out enough for me to do it all tomorrow, so I'm thinking about getting the truck there on Tuesday...do you know if that works with his schedule? Also, any idea on a turnaround time?

Thanks again :cool

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
on the bottom of the backing plate there should be a rubber plug,pull it out,you will need to stick a small screwdriver in there and push the adjuster arm away from the star wheel and and thurn the wheel at the same time.youll have brakes but the pedal will be low.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agnem said:
What is so bad about the single nut deal? I've had it for 23 years with no problems.

On my f-350, the single nuts (the original ones and a pair of $30 each genuine Ford replacements) are of a soft metal that the outside wheel-bearing will eat a groove in the back of, thus allowing the bearing adjustment to loosen as the groove deepens.

I have seen this on numerous trucks that I have worked on.

The ones on my truck right now are in need of replacing; but, this time, I am going to replace with stuff that I know will work and be done with this nonsense.

The two nut/lock are of a much harder material.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Warden said:
BTW, towcat, I want to get the timing done and the glow plugs happy before bringing the truck to Mr. Kawano...I'm hoping the weather holds out enough for me to do it all tomorrow, so I'm thinking about getting the truck there on Tuesday...do you know if that works with his schedule? Also, any idea on a turnaround time?
just talked to Mr. Kawano, actually woke him up :D. he's got room for you on tues. we'll get parts monday. Shoes and a hardware kit. maybe hub seals too(can't hurt, good idea actually). two maybe's. a drum and wheel cylinders.
how deep is your wallet? :eek:

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
towcat said:
he's got room for you on tues. we'll get parts monday. Shoes and a hardware kit. maybe hub seals too(can't hurt, good idea actually). two maybe's. a drum and wheel cylinders.
how deep is your wallet? :eek:
I would be surprised if the hub seals didn't need to be replaced. I don't know what, but I would venture to guess that at least part of the E-brake cabling needs to be done as well.

As to $$...I don't want to know what this is going to come out to :shocked: but it needs to be done, eh? *sigh*

Word of warning: at the rate things are going with the GP's, I think he's going to get a truck that doesn't want to cold-start without turning the key on 4 to 5 times :rolleyes:

Thank you again!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntjapkes

Members online