What started you burning oil?

BrandonMag

Dana 50 rebuilder
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't claim I was born with diesel in my veins; quite the opposite, in fact.
I've liked anything with four wheels since I was about 13. Took auto shop in high school and learned the basics of maintenance. Long story short, from when I was about 16 'til I was 25 I didn't get much accomplished or have any money.
After getting my act together about five years ago, I finally started to have enough money to own decent vehicles (I've owned a lot of them and the vast majority were crap gassers). About three years ago, I got into outdoor electrical construction through the Local in Portland. I travel quite a bit for work, and one of the guys I started working with owned a travel trailer that he used to stay in. At the time, I was living in hotels while on the road (which gets expensive). I ended up buying a 1978 GMC motorhome (posted in a different thread) that I thought would fit the bill for my travel/living needs. It didn't. After putting a lot of time/work into it, I decided I wanted to use a truck and trailer setup instead.
At the time, I knew I wanted a diesel, just not what brand. Fortunately, I've always been partial to Ford. I checked out older diesel pickups on craigslist for about six months until I found my '89.
I took my brother with me to go check it out, and when we arrived at the house, we both looked at each other in disbelief. This truck looked like it was about eight years old, not twenty! I took it on a test drive and bought it. I would've been stupid not to, it was exactly what I needed.
I just bought a travel trailer two weeks ago to replace the GMC and pulled it down to the coast with no problems at all. I'm really diggin' my IDI and am extremely happy with it. I plan on keeping this truck for a long time.
When I found out you can burn WMO in these engines, I dug it even more! :thumbsup:;Sweet

Butcherman

Reaction score
Quite a few years ago (the early to mid 80's I think) I had a 75 Chevy 3/4 ton 4x4 with a 400 small block, auto and 4:10 gears. We used to like to chain up between trucks and see who could pull who across the parking lot or field. I usually never had a problem with loosing. One day a guy showed up with a new Ford diesel. didn't think much of it, we hooked up, and he pulled me across the lot like nobody's business. I had to have one after that.

fields_mj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought my IDI because it fit my needs the best. I needed a truck that I could haul firewood with, retrieve deer, drive to work, and haul the family (mom, dad, and 2 yo daughter) around in when needed. I needed a truck that would last a long time, be reliable, and get decent fuel mileage. Diesel was the only option.

Prior to my IDI, I've always driven F150 2wd trucks with the straight six. The long stroke gave low RPM, good torque, and good fuel mileage. The low RPM meant that the engine would last a LONG time. I had been trying to determine what would replace my 94 for several years. When it became clear that the 94 was quickly dieing, my budget was about $5K. That put me into a early to mid 90s truck. Any F250 with a gas engine was going to get terrible millage, and also wasn't going to last long. I've always believed that trucks should have diesel engines, but I had never had the chance to buy one until now. When the idea of a diesel came to my mind again, it seemed like an easy choice. For my budget I could get a late model IDI with reasonable (150K ish) miles. So I have a vehicle that I can hunt and fish with, haul my firewood with, and it will last me another 150 K. Even with 4wd, and an extended cab, I'm getting almost 18mpg on winter fuel and 12x33 tires. Can't wait to get back to stock tires and good fuel. If I can find some sources of WVO, I'll be making biodiesel, so that's another huge bonus. :)

Revelstoke

Reaction score
The price was right; the truck is solid. I have 150,000 origional miles on a 7.3 IDI. I have also researched, and found this particular engine does well with vegetable oil.

JRNOLL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got tired of getting 5 to 9 mpg towing our 25 ft travel trailer, using a gas powered rig. Got a smoking deal on my early 99 psd. Before that I had a Isuzu 4dr Diesel sedan that got 45 mpg on the freeways.

joe_diesel

Reaction score
Good thread!

Mine started when I rented a diesel car on vacation and was really impressed with the fuel milage (and range due to it) at insane speeds. I then relized I could have a full size truck that can actually pull something and get the milage of a small truck. And they're just cool.

Michael Fowler

Reaction score
I first told this story at the original IDI Rally in North Western PA, whenever that was.

My wife and I camped since our kids were born. Had a small pop up, and towed with anything we had, K Car, Zephyr wagon, whatever, as it weighed about 1000 lbs.
Kids grew up, and moved on. Sharon ( that's the wife) wanted a newer camper with "hard sides, a bed, and a shower. We found one about 20' long that weighed about 3500#. I was driving a Bronco II with the factory towing package that was rated to tow more than the trailer weighed. ( I missed the fine print where Ford limited the frontal area to 32 SF!).
Towed the trailer from Frederick to Bel Air--about 60 miles, and the tranny fluid was hot, so I changed it, and added an extra cooler. Towed the trailer to Hershey, PA, and back, and again the fluid was burned. I figured I needed a bigger tow vehicle.
Not wanting to EVER worry about insufficient tow-ability, I ventured to the world of diesels, and got an '86 F250 6.9. Used that for work and play for about 10 years before trading up to my present ride, a '94 F250 7.3 IDI with factory turbo, extended can, 4X4 with new, wheels and tires, and a newly build E4OD.

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I was at first very put off by the diesels I was exposed to early in life. Both volkswagons. A rabbit and a dasher. They were owned by a friend in high school who I rode with alot. We lived in the Sierra Nevada mountains and they were god awful slow and smoked horribly at higher elevations.

While working in Klamath Falls oregon in 93' I spent alot of time with a guy who had just sold his 85 f250 with a 6.9 and replaced it with a 92 f350 with a 460. He went on and on about how much better his 6.9 was. He sold it with over 400k miles on it and was really disappointed with the 460.

Later that year I moved to Austin Tx and worked with a guy there who had a brick nose crew cab and 7.3 IDI. He proved to me the fuel economy advantage of the diesel. At that point I wanted one but couldn't afford 2 vehicles and being a speed ****** the 90 300zx and later 94 cobra got the nod.

In 1996 I inherited my Grandfathers 78' F250/460 when he passed away. He was the most important/influential person in my life after my parents divorced when I was 6. It was in rough shape but I nursed it along. I now had a truck and although I really wanted a diesel I couldn't justify 2 trucks nor even consider parting ways with my grandfathers old truck.

In 2000 my work was bought out by BASF. I was actively looking at buying a 2000 superduty with a powerstroke but decided to buy a huse instead. They kept me employed until 2002 when they shut the plant down. I had just bought a house 8 months earlier and had to take my welding skills on the road to earn a living. I got the old 78 roadworthy and even passed emissions with it and it chugged along with me for 3 years until I decided to seek gainful employment again. I was playing in a band and needed a van but couldn't find a diesel van in my price range in acceptable condition. Again the gas option won out.

My new job as a Customer support technician for a chemical company had me running all over the south east in a 98 Dodge with a Cummins pulling a 10k lb trailer. I liked the power and torque but felt the Cummins was rather unrefined. Kind of like it was swallowing gravel.

In 2006 my son was born. This led me to another job change as my pay was no longer capable of supporting the family. During my 4 month employment finishing the construction of a chemical plant in Cartersville Ga I was again exposed to diesel trucks at work. They had 3 Dodge Cummins trucks. 1 VP44 and 2 common rail trucks. As much as I tried to like them I just don't like the Dodge platform.

That job turned out to be a launch pad to a project all my own. I was asked to design and build a small chemical processing facility in Houston Tx in November 2006. We started construction in January 07' and I was using my dad's 2003 GMC to tow my tools and equipment down to houston. My intention was to buy that truck from him due to the absurdly low mileage (20k) but after towing a loaded down Uhaul with it I realized it wasn't going to be up to the task in the long run. In the summer of 2007 I decided I could spare enough money to buy a used one ton diesel 4x4. I looked for a while and only the Ford fit the bill. I didn't like the Dodge chassis and will not ever buy a 3/4 ton or heavier 4x4 truck with indpendant front suspension so Chevy/GMC was out.

I found my truck on Craigslist in Houston and bought it the next day. I found Oilburners the next day. 2 days later I took it on a 1400 mile trip to Virginia after having put in sca's (thanks oilburners)and changed the oil and serp belt. I've put 30k on it since then and although it has required alot of work overall it has pulled some really heavy loads for long distances (14k trailer for 1400miles for ex.) without a hiccup. I like it so much I bought 2 6.9's that I found for sale and have been ever so slowly building a low compression, ported head, and generally hopped up motor to use in something eventually.

Last year after repeated requests from my wife to get a neewer truck I succombed on the basis that I could keep the old truck. The new truck is a diesel and if I have my way our next vehicle will be also.

Sorry for the novel but I had wanted a diesel for so long that it took a while to get to the point.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
For me it was the smoke, power and sound....Nothing like a diesel to make a fella get his chest stuck out...Goofy brought his Kenworth dump truck over today with a 525HP N14 Cummins - being a Cummins fan I could pick it out a mile away, nothing like the cam knock of an N14 to perk my interest.:sly

mustangmatt89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
about 4 years ago my senior year in high school, all my friends had diesels, they had money or atleast there parents did and could buy new diesels. The only one I found was a 93 f250 7.3 thought it was the same as a powerstroke didn't even know it didn't have a turbo on it. lol Will be driving that thing for life.

matt-jenkins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I remember when my Uncle Brought home a shiny new maroon and grey 1995 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 Single Cab 12 valve cummins. I would of been 4 or 5 at the time and just thought it was the most Bad ass thing ever. I remember getting my first ride in it just around the block and felt like it was the biggest thing on the road. I always looked forward to him coming over so I could help him change the oil and look under the hood or just sit in the drivers seat while he worked. I just couldn't get enough of the engine noise or the sweet smell of the exhaust.
My best friend where I lived before I moved to BC his dad had a 2001 2500 Cummins extended cab, once again I realized how bad I wanted a big truck.
Now My best friend in high school owns two first gens, his dad owns a 12 second twin turbo monster of a 2002 cummins and a few other of my friends share the addiction.

I've always wanted a dodge and some day will own one but since buying Wendy 10 months ago I've fallen in love with my IDI.
You must be registered for see images

Last edited:

91fummins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I grew up around trucking so I guess I too have diesel in my veins. I bought the "money pit" about 5 years ago for a grand. When I got it the e4doa wouldnt shift but I quickly got that worked out it was just a broken wire go figure. Then a couple months later in need of a tractor I borrowed some cash against the ole thing and hadnt had a problem with it until that day. It was just a power steering leak and easy to fix but then we went to eat lunch and it wouldnt start and had to have 2 new batteries also. Not much longer after that the 7.3 crapped out and had to swap for a 6.9 almost the best thing I ever done to her. I used that engine and I mean abused it for a few years and one day it just wouldnt start. My boss who is also a very good friend of mine had a first gen cummins in a dually that he hadnt quite decided what to do with yet. He said "you need that dodge" and I said " I really do but I cant afford it" . He then said " tell ya what I'll do I'll just give you that truck" . I nearly fell out. The dodge was in pretty bad shape but the engine was good so I decided to commit to the swap and now I have the best of both worlds IMO. So that is the short version of my story and the "money pit"

rusty1988

Reaction score
Well this seems like a good thread for my first post. Ive been lurking around on here for a couple weeks, and have been learning a whole lot. Im so glad you all are on here!!! gave me a lot of confidence to take the plunge and get the idi. here's my story, some might find it wacky but here goes...
about seven years ago i went and got a diesel ford b600 6.6L school bus. if i had known anything at the time i may not have chosen that motor but we've been lucky and had no major problems. my friends and i converted it into a full commercial capacity kitchen in continuation of a project that has been on the road for the better part of 18 years (the last bus had blown up and sent to salvage) We travel the country and share free meals. Mostly in disaster zones but also inner cities or wherever we may find a need.
Recently fuel costs have been getting scary, sometimes we have up to five vehicles in a caravan traveling big distances, so alternative fuels have been on my mind.
I always wanted to learn how to work on diesels. I've always been more drawn to them. I began dreading putting work and money into my gmc gasser pickup, nice truck, i just never liked it enough to want to put attention into it. so while i was off the road and working up here in maine, i decided to sell it and got myself a 1988 f350 crew cab idi. it was love at first sight, and it came with a fancy greasecar kit, just need to put the electric pump in and its good to go on grease! I was going to do a diy conversion, but couldn't pass it up for the price.
so far so good, been doing basic things like fluid changes, need to do a little body work (damn the salty maine winters) no rust on the frame though, she runs strong and now i'll have a vehicle to process and store fuel for long trips with the bus!
Thank you all again for the great advice and information i've been reading on here!

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
For me it was the smoke, power and sound....Nothing like a diesel to make a fella get his chest stuck out...Goofy brought his Kenworth dump truck over today with a 525HP N14 Cummins - being a Cummins fan I could pick it out a mile away, nothing like the cam knock of an N14 to perk my interest.:sly

....or the sound of an unmuffled jake brake to **** off the neighbours at 10 pm :rotflmao

lwoodsman

Reaction score
I guess the sound of all the logging trucks peaked my interest when I was growing up in rural Maine. I've been driving whatever I can get my hands on for a while, I love my chevy 1500 4x4 but its time to sell her. I was getting ready to buy a 1st gen cummins last winter from a friend. But while borrowing it for a little trip and rolling it The truck is now waiting for a new cab.
So now I'm a college kid in Alabama and wanted a new truck for my trip back home this summer. Last week I stumbled upon an 86 f250 6.9 4x4 manual with 189,000 miles. Its a little rough but runs and drives like a dream. I couldn't be happier with my new truck. I've only owned an idi for about 10 hours but so far I have loved every minute of it.
Now I gotta sell that old Chevy so I can get some goodies for the ford.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grizzly Wrecker

Members online