What speed, gear, and RPM do you tow?

wmoguy

Reaction score
My 94 does well pulling our 5ver, which I'm going to guesstimate at around 6k loaded in OD without much issue. If I find it wanting to downshift alot I'll pop the OD button to lock it out but otherwise I let it do it's thing. As for speeds, I generally maintain 65-70 on the interstates provided good driving conditions.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Weight is not bad. It is around 9K dry. Don't know how much it weighs ready to camp. The bigger issue I think is wind resistance...... It's kind of a tall 5'er.

Heath

OK, I'll play nice now.

What I found when I was transporting RVs is with a fifth wheel RV vs a regular travel trailer wind resistance is less as the aero is working off your trucks cab and pushing the air over the trailer vs dropping back down behind your truck and hitting that brick wall you are towing behind you full force. Weight will affect you more than aero with a fifth wheel.

I always got better fuel economy with heavier fifth wheels than I did with travel trailers with the exeption of the big toy haulers which are 102" wide and caught more air and would drop my milage down to the levels I'd see with travel trailers that weighed half as much.

I typically get 14-15 towing my 9000 lb full profile fifth wheel, will drop to 10 with lighter travel trailers.
You must be registered for see images attach

I got 12mpg from Elkhart, IN to Bismark, ND dragging this 19,000 lb 37' $135k Newmar Kountry Aire with dual tandems and loaded with all the owners stuff, Scaled out at over 28,000 lbs when I topped my fuel tanks off. I remember this one well.

87crewdually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We did a trip out to Knoebels a week or so ago. Left Jersey, went out through Bloomsburg south 487 to J&D CampGround. A couple of good grades that knocked your speed down but nothing to worry about.
The truck liked 2500+ pulling grade. Rpm depicted speed, so if it got down below 2300rpm, I'd down shift until the engine held above 2500rpm and maintained speed. Usually EGT's I held around 1150 max. Higher the rpm's the easier it is to maintain lower EGT's. I use O.D. every chance I get. With it in O.D. at 60 mph I'm at about 2250 rpm. If I try to maintain a higher speed say 70, I noticed it's at 10psi of boost and 750+ EGT's, so I keep it at 60mph about 2250 rpm with 5-6 psi boost and 650 EGT. on flat land & mild hills.
When we left to come back, I had a bright idea to go south and take 61. Not good. A crap load of grades and a hight restriction at a railroad bridge. 11'8" IIRC and the WildCat is at 12'6" almost 12,000 pounds loaded and the truck is about 8,000. We lost alot time on that detour but still made time for Cabelas in Hamburg.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
with that rear end, 4th is going to be about where it's going to want to run on flat ground. I've got a 4.10 rear and with the brownie I have in there grossing around 18k it likes to run in 4 over at about 58-62 for the best pulling range and fuel mileage. If I want to pretend like I.m a big dog, I can roll it all the way up into 5 over and pull that load at 70+ , but at that speed, i can sit there and watch the fuel gauge drop in real time :eek: cookoo Back it down and the figures start looking more like 12-14 depending on which trailer I'm pulling ;Sweet

91idi

Fiberglass *****
Reaction score
When I pull I normally go for od. Around here I can normally hold that but some times hit 4. I'm n/a with 4.10. On the back roads if the trailer I empty I use over drive but if I have say a load if 6 fat cows for market I do have to change down to 3 on some hills. (90* turn into a steep hill beside the house.

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
We did a trip out to Knoebels a week or so ago. Left Jersey, went out through Bloomsburg south 487 to J&D CampGround. A couple of good grades that knocked your speed down but nothing to worry about.
The truck liked 2500+ pulling grade. Rpm depicted speed, so if it got down below 2300rpm, I'd down shift until the engine held above 2500rpm and maintained speed. Usually EGT's I held around 1150 max. Higher the rpm's the easier it is to maintain lower EGT's. I use O.D. every chance I get. With it in O.D. at 60 mph I'm at about 2250 rpm. If I try to maintain a higher speed say 70, I noticed it's at 10psi of boost and 750+ EGT's, so I keep it at 60mph about 2250 rpm with 5-6 psi boost and 650 EGT. on flat land & mild hills.
When we left to come back, I had a bright idea to go south and take 61. Not good. A crap load of grades and a hight restriction at a railroad bridge. 11'8" IIRC and the WildCat is at 12'6" almost 12,000 pounds loaded and the truck is about 8,000. We lost alot time on that detour but still made time for Cabelas in Hamburg.

JDs is nice, my friends gram had a camper over there a while ago. 61 is horrible for hills and over-bridges. 487 isnt much better especially out of Catawissa that long grade is a little rough but nice secnery.

Simp5782

SNOW TACKLER!
Reaction score
My 85 is turning 2600 in 4th at 55. I dont go much faster than that empty or towing. I bought the truck for towing and started with 3.55s, yeah didnt work out. Went to 4.10s, it was ok but for what I was hauling it wasn't that great either. and the 4.56 is like night and day. BUT if you really want to tow. I suggest investing in the picture below. M818 5 ton 6x6 made into a crew cab. has a 5spd with CRUISE and a cummins 250. Can cruise @ 65 with ease at 5mpg empty or 30k behind you.

Attachments

• Picture 242.jpg
    Picture 242.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 6
  • Picture 245.jpg
    Picture 245.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 2

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member