What parts from a 1990 will interchange with a 1993?

Shawn MacAnanny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, i've been searching for a suitable replacement for my truck, i cant believe how hard it is to find a crew cab long bed IDIT, or even 7.3 PSD anymore. Well thats not like $20k. Anyway i've located a 1990 non turbo 7.3 5 speed, which is fine because i have a good 7.3l IDIT i can swap in it but what else would change over from my 1993? The front suspension looks the same, can i unbolt my front trailing arms/beams and slide them in? I ask because i have new calipers, bearings, ball joints, springs, shocks and i dont think it'd be too much work to unbolt, and swap them if they'll fit.

Will the front grill, radiator, hood, and head lights interchange if i swap the radiator core? I have a spare radiator core anyway and would like to use all the new front parts.

Will the factory 093 turbo kit and 3" down pipe fit basically the same as it does on my 93? (cutting the firewall lip).

Anything i should specifically check out on the 1990? I know the firewalls are weak but the clutch pedal on this one seems solid. He mentioned he used the additive, the brass radiator is clean inside, he said the engine was replaced about 8 years ago with a Jasper, which i know isnt the best but i already have a spare if anything happens.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
92 up columns are very different from 91 down. Otherwise, the OBS front clip will interchange. You will have some wire harness challenges because they changed a bit in 92. No reason you can't just keep the 90 harness and use the 92 sheet metal though. May have to get creative with the light sockets.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
front clips will bolt on with core support as stated.
steering box will work, steering rod will not.

the 93 dash can be installed in the 90.
but requires fab work.

a 093 is tight, but will fit. install with IP and lines OFF.
the pinch weld if taken care of will fit a 3" DP

suspension, i have no clue. i don't run F250 4x's

90 harness can be used.

i would suggest a dash swap, its one of my favorite mods on the brick nose, besides my 2011 F350 badges :D

the light sockets will swap over, i used a 96 harness on a brick nose without any mods besides the drivers side fender well for the fuse/relay box

hood hinges and springs are the same.

swap your entire OBS front end,
only 2 different radiators for the diesel until 95-ish? for PSD

Shawn MacAnanny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah the radiator core I have from a 1994 idit looks like the exact same as the one in my 96 psd. It has the pressurized coolant tank. Thanks guys! I'll post some pictures if I get the truck today. It's not pretty or anything but will be functional

Shawn MacAnanny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I met the gentleman who had the the truck, the batteries were completely dead but he hooked a truck to it to jump start it. I saw the glow plug controller immediately start clicking so i know there's a few bad glow plugs, but i will say it actually started instantly like the 3rd rotation no smoking sputtering or stumbling and he said it hadnt been started in atleast 3-4 months. Ive seen the truck sitting for quite some time just never had any reason to ask about it until now. I noticed the radiator core is cracked in two places but that wont matter if i swap over the core support.

I'm really hoping the front supension will swap over, it needs new front rotors and calipers, im pretty sure my rear brakes and cables will swap over. It needs some paint and the drivers floor is rusted out by the rocker but with a little work it should be ok. Not the same as my old truck but itll be nice to have a utility bed again.