What must I do to make it sound good?!!

ramon f350

Reaction score
first thing that comes to mid is straight pipe if it is a turbo. but defineitly get rid of those glasspacks

Ramon

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
Bigger exhaust!Good straight though muffler.You will never get that Peterbilt sound outta our rigs.Too many Cylinders.V8s will always sound like V8s,I6s will always sound like I6s.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
a friend of mine had flowmasters on his.it actually sounds better than a big block

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
I have a Dynomax Pro-Flow on Goldie. ;Sweet
It has one of the better flow rates and sounds as good or better than a big block gasser. :D :D
Went with the glass pack way for awhile...Yes nasty after awhile. :puke:

tbirdfiend281

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have a hypermax unit on mine not sure if it was a kit back around when the trucks where rather new, but it sounds sick, like a combonation between a chebby 350 with flows and a big ol 18 wheelers...since your trucks non turbo striaght pipe it, see if you like the sound, id go with a nice straight flow muffler if you dont wanna do that...

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Freight_Train said:
Bigger exhaust!Good straight though muffler.You will never get that Peterbilt sound outta our rigs.Too many Cylinders.V8s will always sound like V8s,I6s will always sound like I6s.

Gotta disagree with you there Freight. The Moose Truck may not be as loud as a Pete, but the tone and drone is about the same, courtesy of the Magnaflow muffler and stacks.

Hoss6.9

V - "The BOSS"
Reaction score
Straight pipes all the way! I think that a V8 can sound as good as any I6. I've got a 1965 MACK B755 325hp V8, 15 spd. tri-plex trans. 44k mack camelbacks. And there's no sweeter sound than that ole' V8 draggin' in a load. And my old IDI straight piped sounds alot like the ole' bulldog when she's draggin' a load down the road. I don't have the hair dryer on the IDI yet but, hope to someday soon. Turbo or Non-Turbo - They all sound great - In my opinion (And Ya know how they are)! I will admit that my '95 KW T600 with the 3406E CAT - straight piped sounds tremendous though too! Especially when the jake is on!

Hoss.... ;Sweet

MudHog

Reaction score
I have a good friend that has a later model diesel as you and I always loved the sound of his truck. He did straight pipe all the way through with I think a 3 or 3-1/2" pipe size. His truck is a cc lwb 5spd. When he decels and downshifts, it sounds EXACTLY like a jake brake. Nothing is done to his truck and it's bone stock cept for the straight pipe. ;Sweet ;Sweet

justblowin'smoke

Reaction score
Mine has 4" straight stacks and when i downshift it sounds like a big rig and if i let off at 2500rpm and let decel it sounds like its got a jake brake

soulpatchfr

goat herder
Reaction score
since i see in your sig that she's FOR SALE!!!, this may be a moot point.

anyway, straight piping an N/A 7.3 would make her LOUD. as in setting off car alarms in the parking lot LOUD. at least duals are ;Really .

I like 'em, but it's getting a little tiresome (or i'm getting a little old) - i wonder what those 5" x 8' stacks i found @ Berubes will sound like as sidepipes?

why do glasspacks sound so bad??? i figured they'd tame down the bark a little, but no? i found p/n SUM-630810 over at Summit & thought i might be able to squeeze them in there just before the sidepipes?

OR, Ron - since you know what ********* sounds like - compare that to glasspacks, por favor.
(on edit) ditto on the Jake Brake comments - i've even had a shout on the CB asking if i had one LOL

Attachments

• 36129duals.jpg
    36129duals.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:

highest_vision

Reqistered User
Reaction score
I'll try to post a clip of mine straight piped. I like it, probably doesn't sound very diesel-y, but what's the difference? If it sounds different than the diesel sound everyone is used to, it's more of a conversation topic for the uninitiate :)
Ok it won't let me post it. But I have it here, too.
James

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
i used to have the stock 2 1/2" pipe with the muffler cut out and a cherry bomb in its place and i got a lot of compliments on the sound, i loved it but of you're not looking for a big-block sound that not for you. it sure sounded sweet going thru the tunnels on the PA turnpike though.

right now i have a 3" Hypermax system on there including the Hyp muffler. it's a little quiet for my taste but rumbles a little.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86