What must I do to make it sound good?!!

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
jcfb said:
Well, I really want it to sound diesel-y. I really like the sound of my grandfather's PowerStroke, and I realize an IDI will never sound like a PowerStroke, but the thing is, I can hear the diesel through the exhaust, whereas the glasspacks on mine make a chug-chug-chug noise.

Whoa!Chug?You mean a Woofing sound out the tail pipe!?!?!That ain't a good sound if it is.That is the dreaded Exhaust Valve woof.You might want to have the heads checked before it drops a valve.

bentwings

Reaction score
About a week ago Iwas at the pump filling up The Cummins :hail and a PS about a 99 pulled in on the other side. My truck is pretty loud with the straight pipe but I hate to admit the PS out "knocked" me by a little bit. He said he had straight pipe too. With 2 big diesels under the low roof it was pretty dam loud and a little breeze was blowing the soot all over the place. :puke: :rotflmao :rotflmao :thumbsup:
He had a single big pipe too.

L.Wilkinson

Its an Arktos not a Sub
Reaction score
Hoss6.9 said:
Straight pipes all the way! I think that a V8 can sound as good as any I6. I've got a 1965 MACK B755 325hp V8, 15 spd. tri-plex trans. 44k mack camelbacks. And there's no sweeter sound than that ole' V8 draggin' in a load.

Hoss.... ;Sweet

Was the V-8 stock in your B model?
Years ago I had the same year, B75 with ENDT673 (bone stock), with the triplex and same drivetrain. There wasn't a heck of a lot of room under the side hinged hood flaps, even for the inline.

As far as sweet sounds, I'll put two bits in for the other side of the coin - not straight piping. I progressed from a stock ATS exhaust system, to a straight pipe a few years back, quite enjoyed all the music you could create. However, too many comments from all the other passengers led me to fit a late model power stroke system on, its 3 1/2" from my 3" downpipe through to the back with the rather large muffler on the system, all low grade S.S. thoughout.
I can still more than hear it spooling, but no barking or throbulating @ higher rpm's. However, as a perk it now has a low moaning quality under load that I've oft compaired to (a blonde calling from under the hood :love: ;Really ).

Last edited:

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
L.Wilkinson said:
I can still more than hear it spooling, but no barking or throbulating @ higher rpm's. However, as a perk it now has a low moaning quality under load that I've oft compaired to (a blonde calling from under the hood :love: ;Really ).

Now that definitely deserves a ;Sweet ;Sweet ;Sweet ;Sweet

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
if you don't want the v-8 sound you will need a muffler not a glass pack but then your truck will be super quiet if your timing is retarded that will take away some of the diesel knock if its too raspy a h-pipe helps elimanate the bap-bap-bap of the exhaust the larger dia pipe makes the sound deeper

DDiesel

Reaction score
does anyone have a sound clip of their truck???
there are some goos setups, and i am curious to hear how they sound. i want to do something to my truck, a 1988 f250 ex cab 7.3