What makes Idi better than power stroke

IH444t

Reaction score
I'm getting heat from a buddy that's a big diesel mechanic here. Asking and bashing me for buying an Idi. I gave him some reasons ( easy mantaince, longevity, cheaper parts, no electronics) just wondering if you guys have any other good arguing point.

fordf350man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What more do you need? Not everyone wants to buy the biggest chip and blow black smoke all over. Some people like simple things that have proven themselves and work great. The idi will do any job any other diesel can just wont go as fast. When it comes down to it an idi will spend less time being repaired and cost less money vs any modern day diesel. They also get pretty much the same fuel mileage.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
well he's a diesel mechanic,
PSD'd bring in money, IDI's do not.
every diesel shop around here is full of 6leakers.
he would have you buy one if he could.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
^ especially 6.0's, because people don't know how to take care of them.

Most shops won't see a idi because the techs are incompetent. Can't do anything if they can't hook a computer to it.

And relooking at the OP... Maintenance is the same. Longevity with a 7.3 psd is more than a idi. Injectors may be more, but last longer. You aren't playing Russian roulette with cavitation. Can take the boost without popping a headgasket.

We can all sit here and give equal amounts of pros and cons for each engine. Does that make one better? Hell no. It's all personal preference and how competent you are with what engine. At least it's still a ford.

Which powerstroke is he driving? Can probably give you some things to say to **** him off if that's what your after.

Sent from my SM-T537R4 using Tapatalk

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Another way of looking at it is this. Most if not all the 6.9 internal parts can be used on the 7.3. We can even use a set of 6.9 heads on a 7.3 if we drill out the head bolt holes. We have proven the 6.9 head gaskets are a better gasket of the 7.3 because they have more open coolant passages in them. But please.. Never argue with an idiot. A passerby on the street can't tell you apart.:angel:

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another way of looking at it is this. Most if not all the 6.9 internal parts can be used on the 7.3. We can even use a set of 6.9 heads on a 7.3 if we drill out the head bolt holes. We have proven the 6.9 head gaskets are a better gasket of the 7.3 because they have more open coolant passages in them. But please.. Never argue with an idiot. A passerby on the street can't tell you apart.:angel:

QUIT BASHING PSD'S ***** :rotflmao LOL

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i hope he gets a chuckle outta that, instead of a groan lol

ToughOldFord

The Cold Glow-Plug
Reaction score
well he's a diesel mechanic,
PSD'd bring in money, IDI's do not.
every diesel shop around here is full of 6leakers.
he would have you buy one if he could.

^^^^That, diesel mechanics are making a killing these days with all the unreliable engines being produced now with all the emissions and computer control.

Talking to a service tech at a dealership (Pete/Volvo/Mack) recently, and he says the days of million mile engines are over, they're done before they hit 700K now. And he's right, we replaced our 2 '95s in '07, one just about to hit 1 mill, the other well past it. Our '07s are showing their age at half the mileage, it takes a LOT of money to keep them going, and add to that the $18,000 B/S CARB particulate filter.....

On the other end of the spectrum we have an old '85 Freightliner that's only been in the shop once for a clutch adjustment, all other repairs were so simple/minor we were able to preform them in the yard. Dealers and mechanics make no money off of a truck like that.

We had to pull that truck out of service because of the CARB nonsense. And now we can't even run it as a yard goat because the CARB Nazis require off-road equipment to be compliant as well.

SO the people that stick up for the PowerStroke, well, you're welcome to it if you choose, I want nothing to do with it.

ToughOldFord

The Cold Glow-Plug
Reaction score

LOL That's telling 'em! LOL

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
^^^^That, diesel mechanics are making a killing these days with all the unreliable engines being produced now with all the emissions and computer control.

Talking to a service tech at a dealership (Pete/Volvo/Mack) recently, and he says the days of million mile engines are over, they're done before they hit 700K now. And he's right, we replaced our 2 '95s in '07, one just about to hit 1 mill, the other well past it. Our '07s are showing their age at half the mileage, it takes a LOT of money to keep them going, and add to that the $18,000 B/S CARB particulate filter.....

On the other end of the spectrum we have an old '85 Freightliner that's only been in the shop once for a clutch adjustment, all other repairs were so simple/minor we were able to preform them in the yard. Dealers and mechanics make no money off of a truck like that.

We had to pull that truck out of service because of the CARB nonsense. And now we can't even run it as a yard goat because the CARB Nazis require off-road equipment to be compliant as well.

SO the people that stick up for the PowerStroke, well, you're welcome to it if you choose, I want nothing to do with it.

guilty as charged. i do like my PSD's, but i LOVE MY IDI!
that CARB BS will hopefully create a cheap drivetrain for my 31 military 2.5 ton...
may as well try to take advantage!

ToughOldFord

The Cold Glow-Plug
Reaction score
guilty as charged. i do like my PSD's, but i LOVE MY IDI!
that CARB BS will hopefully create a cheap drivetrain for my 31 military 2.5 ton...
may as well try to take advantage!

Heh heh, I hadn't thought of that. Sticking it in their eye like that would make it worth it by itself.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
time for everyone to start building hotrod diesels!
but please please refrain from calling it a ratrod....

lilHank

Reaction score
parts for idis I have found that they are a lot cheaper but no one can tell me there idi will out pull my powerstroke

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online