What is this?

Dreadflux

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if all the pros can tell me what this unit is on my truck? I just purchased this truck and I’m trying to learn as much as possible, and so far everyone has been so great in answering my newbie questions. The reason I am curious, is it looks brand new.
Thank you for your time.

Attachments

• CADD66F9-F6CC-490A-845B-3B794BED7F96.jpeg
    CADD66F9-F6CC-490A-845B-3B794BED7F96.jpeg
    345.3 KB · Views: 27

aggiediesel01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, the others are correct. Yours is missing it's protective cover so be careful around those terminals when checking your oil and don't accidently drag your dip stick across the stud where the heavy yellow wires connect, that one has 12V continuously and heavy gauge wire to carry lots of amps. It'd be better if you can find one and cover it up properly but you're in no real danger for now.

Dreadflux

Reaction score
Yep, the others are correct. Yours is missing it's protective cover so be careful around those terminals when checking your oil and don't accidently drag your dip stick across the stud where the heavy yellow wires connect, that one has 12V continuously and heavy gauge wire to carry lots of amps. It'd be better if you can find one and cover it up properly but you're in no real danger for now.
Thank you very much for this information.

Littleredrig

Reaction score
It’s your glow plug relay, usually it’s in the back of the engine towards the firewall… Looks like it has been relocated… I would try to find a cover for it.

Dreadflux

Reaction score
Can someone take a picture of their cover? I’m trying to track one down, Thinking a junk yard might be the best bet. but a picture of what it actually looks like would be helpful. No luck yet on google search. Thanks.

aggiediesel01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most important are the little tabs that hold it to the base. If those are broken, it has a hard time staying attached. Looking at the second picture you can also see that in the top part there are little circles to grip the top of the studs on the solenoid as well, sometimes those are melted if the solenoid has gone bad but the cover is still usually usable.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
It’s your glow plug relay, usually it’s in the back of the engine towards the firewall… Looks like it has been relocated… I would try to find a cover for it.

Or make one from a plastic electrical outlet box or something like that.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can someone take a picture of their cover? I’m trying to track one down, Thinking a junk yard might be the best bet. but a picture of what it actually looks like would be helpful. No luck yet on google search. Thanks.

I don't really want to share this, because apparently nobody knows they exist, and I'm afraid they'll disappear if everyone finds out LOL

DISCLAIMER: I HAVE NOT ORDERED ONE TO VERIFY IT'S CORRECT!!! I found this part number a while ago and saved it for future use. If it is wrong I apologize but it certainly LOOKS to be correct.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madmustang1965

Members online