What is this noise?

nine9six

Desmo Inside
Reaction score
Greetings IDI Guru's,

Whenever I'm at a complete stop the truck makes this "rattle" noise. If I'm in "Drive" and have my foot on the brake (stop signs / red lights) the noise is loudest. If you put the truck in "Park" it typically goes away, though you may hear it faintly every once in a while. I took a short video and attached it. I didn't know how large the file would be, so it's kind of short...and may not be sufficient for anyone to diagnose. If needed, I can make a longer video of stop & go driving to better illustrate. Also, I don't know if the sound can be heard from outside of the Cab. I can have a friend come over tonight and let me know, but I can't be in two places @ once with my foot on the brake. ;p

http://s154.beta.photobucket.com/user/nine9six/media/IMG_0452.mp4.html

Also, until January 1st, I'll be dealing with "air intrusion, hard to start after sitting" problem. I have to crank on it for an elapsed time of 30 seconds...though not all in one 30-second session. How bad will this effect the truck over the course of the next couple of weeks? I'm going to order the kit when I get paid, but for now I'm just dealing with. From what I understand, the diesel has flowed back into the tank, and cranking on the engine is pumping the fuel back through the system until it's primed enough to start. Is it better to just turn the key and let it crank until it does finally start...or, should I continue cranking for a few seconds and then let it 'rest' for a few seconds? If it's going to destroy the truck, I'll swap out and grab my X-Runner to drive for the time being.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help. I've done a bit of searching on the 'noise' subject, but wasn't able to find any solid information.

-Justin

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
check the torque converter nuts, and flexplate/flywheel for cracks.

nine9six

Desmo Inside
Reaction score
Update:

I forgot to mention that if I give the truck a little throttle....and I mean just a little...I can make the noise go away completely.

So, in Drive....at light...makes noise. I give it a little throttle, and the noise goes away completely.

I don't know if that helps diagnose anything, but I just thought that I'd update the thread with this information.

-Justin

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
That sounds right for what Russ said. When you raise the rpm it's putting more of a load on everything, therefore not leaving any room to rattle. As far as the fuel draining back to the tank: for now if you could afford a cheapo electric fuel pump, it should help a lot. I've been using the Mr Gasket V8 gas version one. I had it on a chevy 350 for at least a year, then on a chevy 6.2 diesel for about a year and now on my 7.3 idi for about 2 months and it's been working pretty good.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I sent him a kit, hes gonna pay me later, way cheaper than a starter.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
You say noise goes away with a little throttle and it's hard to start. I'm inclined to think there may be a leaking injector involved here as well . Its a little harder to tell with a slushbox, but does it make the rattle at no to light load at no to partial throttle then go away as you get on the throttle ?

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, that was one of the 'realest' things anyone on any vehicle forum has ever done. You rock!

-Justin

Welcome to the happenings of OB...this type of shenanigans goes on here lots actually....we da bomb when it comes to community!

WhiteMystery93

Coal Factory
Reaction score
i get a rattling noise every time i am riding the clutch to start off or when i'm in gear under load under 1k rpms, always figured it to be the DMF. but mine's a zf5, does the automatic have a DMF aswell? because if so, i know exactly what rattle you're referring to lol.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
i get a rattling noise every time i am riding the clutch to start off or when i'm in gear under load under 1k rpms, always figured it to be the DMF. but mine's a zf5, does the automatic have a DMF aswell? because if so, i know exactly what rattle you're referring to lol.

Here's a hint... you shouldnt be in gear under load under 1k rpms, actually you shouldnt be in gear under load under 1700 rpms aside from first gear take off which should be VERY gradual until you get to the 1700 point. lugging a mid range or high rpm diesel is one of the fastest ways to kill it , and you can lug it at ANY rpm. As explained by the factory reps when I turned wrenches at the bus company : you should be able to accelerate to full RPM at 2/3 throttle, if not, you are lugging the thing, so you dont have to be loading it at 1000 rpms to be lugging it, you can be flying up a hill at 3 grand, but if you are having to floorboard it to make that happen, you are lugging it

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have something similar i think! firt time i noticed it swas 3 weeks ago.
happens 1/5 times i drive the truck.

happens only at idle, when im slowing down in neutral and i brake harder it stops as there is force forward, and as soon as truck comes to stop it will buzz again.

Also i can not hear it very well OUTSIDE of the cab, only inside. Engine sounds fine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiXD_eYpx2s&list=UUBmnWIfrTi2vMQsade16dJw&index=2

nine9six

Desmo Inside
Reaction score
Greg,

That's the exact sound as mine. Though, that one is a lot more 'obvious'. But that video is perfect for diagnosis, as mine isn't all that audible.

I'll be doing some work on the truck this weekend, and while we're tending to things I'll look into the Flexplate. I don't know anything about it, but my dad is pretty keen on vehicles. In the meantime, I'll lookup anything Flexplate-related so I can have at least some knowledge of what I need to look for. Thanks again guys.

-Justin

*EDIT*

I found this link. It seems to be pretty spot-on as to what I've read here.

http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/f31/flex-plate-rattle-198414/

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance