What is this and why is it leaking?

gandalf

Reaction score
Thanks gandolf. I ordered a new seal from the local dealer. I hope he understood me and ordered the right part. Cost 9 bucks.

$9??? The dealer saw you coming!! No wonder auto dealers are so rich. Does it come with a tube of Vaseline?

When I bought the last I think I paid about half that for two of them. On the other hand, you say this is your daily driver, your money maker. For this reason you have to have it up and running. Maybe you can write it off on your taxes, maintenance on your business vehicle. Otherwise it's just CODB.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks gandolf. I ordered a new seal from the local dealer. I hope he understood me and ordered the right part. Cost 9 bucks.
Even at dieselorings each Olive is $2.50, comes in sets of the three. There is two of them on that hard line filter to IP, there 5/16" ID and one 3/8" ID for the fuel hard line from the lift pump.

Go over here and pester Darrin, he probably has some seals (Olives) He's a member here.
http://www.dandlautosales.com/

Last edited:

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
odds are, and I would place a large amount of parts on it,
once one is ate up, the other 4 are going to be complete crap soon.

Rolling_slow

Reaction score
I met Darrin years ago (obviously wouldn't remember me) when I was looking at one of his trucks for sale maybe 2007. I live just down the road from his dealership.

As for the 9 bucks which is outrageous from what you all are telling me, I did not ask how many I was purchasing. I work 3rds and was in a hurry to sleep. Possible it is more than one. If not, now I have multiple places to purchase more. Thanks everyone I appreciate the input.

Rolling_slow

Reaction score
Got the rings. It was $8.48 for 4.

You must be registered for see images attach

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
just like ford. they sell them in 4's, but theres 5 olives that's used on these engines lol

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
that's why I got rid of them. there will most likely be less problems with a flair or AN style fittings and you don't have to worry about the rubber drying or cracking.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
that's why I got rid of them. there will most likely be less problems with a flair or AN style fittings and you don't have to worry about the rubber drying or cracking.
over 1500 miles on my AN's and zero issue. the entire fuel system is AN, all the way to the tank
I will never run another olive, except for powerstrokes, until I can afford a soup bowl delete

gandalf

Reaction score
Once again, I'd replace both on the hard line between the fuel filter and the IP, then wait for the next leak. Remember, these are a compression fitting, like you find under your kitchen sink. If you turn the compression nut, it will probably start leaking.

One of Ford's brighter ideas, selling you four olives when you need five. Knowing that you got four for that price, though, makes it a not bad deal.

Rolling_slow

Reaction score
Once again, I'd replace both on the hard line between the fuel filter and the IP, then wait for the next leak. Remember, these are a compression fitting, like you find under your kitchen sink. If you turn the compression nut, it will probably start leaking.

One of Ford's brighter ideas, selling you four olives when you need five. Knowing that you got four for that price, though, makes it a not bad deal.

That is exactly what I am doing Gandolf. I appreciate the advice. I'll update to let you know if the issue is resolved.