What is this and why is it leaking?

Rolling_slow

Reaction score
Good morning everybody. New member here with new member problems. I started my truck to let it warm up and came out to see fuel dripping out the bottom of the engine. New to diesels and never seen a tube like this jetting out an oil pan let alone diesel fuel? The tube is obviously there for a reason. Is it to drain fuel for some reason? Checked all fluids and everything is where it needs to be. Checked fuel lines and they are all dry as well. Any help with this would be appreciated. I have attached a picture to help. Thank you...

-rolling_slow

You must be registered for see images attach

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
that tube is there to vent any foreign debris in the torque converter area.
its obvious that its leaking from somewhere higher.
check all your fuel lines, esp. the return line manifold at the back driversisde of the engine

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
More specifically, the engine Valley has a drain hole that comes out behind the flywheel. Which is why the fuel is coming out there.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Rolling_slow

Reaction score
Found it. Middle fuel line coming out of the IP. Can I put a wrench on it to tighten it up or will that cause more damage stripping it out. Not sure when it was last replaced it's a new to me truck. I'll post more about it on another thread.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
there is a rubber seal known as "olive" that seals that line, odds are that its brittle cracked and fukt.
you can replace the olive or swap to an AN style line

noddaz

Reaction score
Nope, not a regular part. Ford dealer should be able to order it for you.
I wouldn't expect them to stock it.

Rolling_slow

Reaction score
Well...That sucks. I read something in the forum about using 3/8 fuel line as a temporary seal until I get the olives. Any fact to this or will it just create a **** storm of issues. This truck is my daily driver if goes down money isn't being made. I'm open to ideas.

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Where are you located? Search for a diesel fuel injection shop. They would have one. Might be one close enough to go get it.

Rolling_slow

Reaction score
I am in Grand Rapids, Mi. Just called the dealer and ordered it. It will be here tomorrow so I can limp for a day. I appreciate the help.

gandalf

Reaction score
Okay, here we go again. If it is the olive on the hard line between the fuel filter and the IP, then it's easy enough. You should be able to find them at any injection shop. There is one at each end of that hard line. Replace them both. There are several others scattered around the fuel system. They probably all need replacing, but personally I'd wait until they leak OR until I'm working on that part of the system.

Here is one of my apparently favorite pictures. I say that because I've posted it numerous times, all for the same problem.

A new olive is at the arrowpoint, and an old one on the hard line.

Rolling_slow

Reaction score
Thanks gandolf. I ordered a new seal from the local dealer. I hope he understood me and ordered the right part. Cost 9 bucks.