What is normal for oil pressure?

Boobylinks

Reaction score
There was a time when I was either:
1. Running my 7.3L over the Continental Divide when I noticed that if I didn't keep the engine revs above a certain RPM, my oil pressure guage (aftermarket) indicates close to zero PSI and the idiot light would lit up.

2. Blowing through Las Vegas on the Interstate on an above 110 F. day and the same low PSI situation would re-occur.

My question is, what is normal or acceptable oil pressure under these severe conditions?

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I worry about the idiot light coming on. Still, you really need to buy a mechanical gauge, the minimum acceptable pressure is about 7psi at hot idle, but 10-15 is better. Warmed up and running down the highway it should be 40 psi+ We can't tell if you have a problem with oil pressure or with the idiot gauge until you give us a number. I hope it turns out not to be an engine problem,
J.D.

Boobylinks

Reaction score
This problem I had was prior to an engine rebuild, so there's a possibility that new gaskets and seals took care of the low oil PSI problem. I just haven't put the truck under those conditions after the rebuild. These days (post rebuild), driving the frigid upper midwest, my highway PSI is 40+. The trucks been out of service for the past three years due to electrical problems, so I'm prepping my ride for a shakedown run to Las Vegas in the spring to fetch a 35' travel trailer and bring'er back over the Big Climb.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Still, you really need to buy a mechanical gauge

I don't have mechanical as I prefer not to have oil in the cab with me. Electrical gages are fine. What you need is a set of quality gages, either mechanical or not, but something that you can trust.

Other than that, it seems strange that this only happens at certain times and hopefully the rebuild (closer bearing tolerances, fresh oil pump etc.) helped it out. Gaskets really have nothing to do with it as long as you have plenty of oil in the engine, oil cooler being the exception.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntjapkes

Members online