What engine paint is a close match for the IH gray??

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought some new injectors from Russ and will be installing those soon, but I also have to reseal the IP gear cover because of an oil leak. Since the IP is coming out to reseal the gear cover, I thought it would be a great time to clean up the top of the engine and paint the injector lines and valve covers as they do have some rust. As we all know, there are many "shades of gray" out there. I am just wondering what brand/color of rattle can engine paint you all have used that is a decent match for the original IH gray? Thanks for any suggestions! Todd

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ford grey is very close after it cures.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Removing the housing can be tricky. Do this before you remove it. turn the crank damper untill it reaches the top dead center mark on the short fat probe location at the timing tab. Then make sure the injection pump gear in in this position. See the drive lug at the 4 o clock position and the 3 bolts position. Once the gear is on the bench draw a line from the top all the way down thru the bottom bolt hole. Then when you drop the gear back in the front of the engine use a square to insure the line is square to the top of the cover that holds the water pump in place. Also you can count up from the "Y" mark on both sides of the gear 17 teeth and draw a line across the gear. That line will be parrall with the top of the gear cover too.

Attachments

• scan0001.jpg
    scan0001.jpg
    651.1 KB · Views: 25
  • DSC00239.jpg
    DSC00239.jpg
    502.9 KB · Views: 20