What engine is this? Ford or IH ?

mjpike

Reaction score
I have an 87 f250 with what I've always thought was a 6.9.
However, I can't find the engine code numbers usually next to the IP
On the drivers intake manifold it has 1804357C4 and RC4A with what looks to be an IH symbol in between.
On the drivers side exhaust manifold 1800842-08.
I've tried searching this but have had no luck.

fordf350man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i know that the head bolts are different sizes bwetween the 6.9 and 7.3 idi. use a 12 point socket to find the size, also if its the factory engine check the vin code, beleave its the 8th digit in the vin number, also pics im sure would help

mjpike

Reaction score
I'm trying to find out from the codes what year is it and if its a 6.9 or 7.3.
II don't want to pull the valve cover to check the bolts unless absolutely necessary.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
II don't want to pull the valve cover to check the bolts unless absolutely necessary.
You don't need to pull the valve covers to check for the head bolts. look for any 12 pt bolt on the head between the valve cover and the exhaust manifold. take two 12 pt sockets one 7/16" and the other 1/2". check to see which fits on the 12pt bolt. one will fit the other won't.
if it's 7/16" you are a 6.9.
if it's 1/2" you are a 7.3
these motors are externally the same and you can install 6.9 parts onto a 7.3 longblock and vice versa. you cannot change the headbolts without a serious amount of machine work.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are head bolts that are exposed, that you can access without pulling the valve cover. If you look on the driver's side head, at the front, you should see the high temp sender...there's at least one bolt very close to that.

As to the block ID number...it may be very faint, but it should be stamped on the block near the IP drive gear housing. Maybe it's covered by a bunch of grime, but it SHOULD be there...

As to the exhaust manifolds...it might be possible to run exhaust manifolds from an IH medium-duty, but there would be quite a bit of custom pipe work to get that to work in a pickup chassis. IIRC the intake manifolds are the same...

mjpike

Reaction score
Thanks guys,
I don't think pics will show anything other than the numbers I gave you.
I've scraped the IP area clean but will go over it again.
Maybe it doesn't matter whether its a 6.9 or a 7.3, but Russ is rebuilding/upgrading my turbo and I'd like to give him accurate info.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Head bolts will tell you what displacement the engine really is. Most here feel the 6.9 made in 87 is the best year for the 6.9.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well thats the truth above. Really any 6.9 can be easily upgraded to the 87 year mods. All the external and most of the internal parts swap over from 6.9 to 7.3 and so forth. Both of these engines block and heads are drilled nearly exactly the same. Bout the only drilled differance is the head bolts. They use the same tin on the outsides. The same cam, crank and rods in both engines too. Easy engines to find parts for too. The roller lifters fit the psd, chevy 6.2 and 6.5 and several other engines. Theres a set of roller lifters on ebay now for $6.50 each. Thats a rock bottom cheap price for a roller hydraulic lifter too.

Garbage_Mechan

Garbage Mechanic
Reaction score
The rockers and the glow plug system are updateable but the changes tothe 6.9 block casting around the block heater area cannot be upgraded. If I were building a 6.9 from the block up, I would only use the late block, why risk it!

160k87F250

not rocket science
Reaction score
I wish I never sold my 87 F250 ext cab, 2wd, long bed. 6.9 w/ a C6. Loved that truck.
John

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online

No members online now.