what does it take to convert to 4wd

WrickM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
with my '87 F250 the recent snowfall has convinced me to look into this. So what does it take to convert my c6 2wd 3.55 geared to 4wd. Like what trucks and parts should i look for in the yard to make it work.

Thank a lot

edit: or is there a cheap/easy to find LSD that would help me maneuver on slippery slopes.

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go loog in the local auto junkyards. Look in the door panals at the sticker inside the drivers side door. Im 90% sure that all axle code designations that begin with a letter are limited slip.

Since I put my ls rearend in I havent had to use 4wd even in some pretty nasty places.

WrickM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go loog in the local auto junkyards. Look in the door panals at the sticker inside the drivers side door. Im 90% sure that all axle code designations that begin with a letter are limited slip.

Since I put my ls rearend in I havent had to use 4wd even in some pretty nasty places.

That seems like a good start. Anyone have more detail on that?

Exekiel69

Reaction score

I've asked in a few threads about this, what does it take to do this? Is it a 1 day project or a week? Any step by step or place a can look into? I'm converting My truck to 4wd with a d60 but I also want to add the ls to the rear axle.

Thank You.

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you find a ls rearend in the junkyard, Ive been told that the carrier can be removed and swapped into another axle.

I found that it is easier to find an axle with the proper gears and ls. Just swap the entire thing out and keep goin.

I paid 150 for a rebuilt 10.25 with 4.10's. I just needed to put new brake pads on it.

When I spun the yoke on the rear pinion, I thought it wouldnt turn out well because I would have to find another rearend. It turned out to be the best thing Ive done to the truck so far.

I changes the way it feels and pulls on almost every surface. Ive only had one time that I started to get stuck since I put it in.

I couldnt get it to lock both wheels right away and had to rock until it did. But its been almost a year and that was the first time that had happened.

I really need to change the oil and use less additive to get it to be a bit more aggressive.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Well the one I have is good and I always maintained it well so for now I rather learn how to put the ls in it, the part that I don't get right is how to get the pinion and spider gear to fit just perfect, so far everyone seems to agree that it takes someone with much experience to get it just right :dunno.

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive personally never tried swapping gears. I plan on doing it to a dana 60 soon, I just havent had time to give it a shot.

From what Ive heard, its not hard just tedious and everything has to be within spec or things start to get torn up.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
From what Ive heard, its not hard just tedious and everything has to be within spec or things start to get torn up.

That's the part that worries Me, yet I don't think I would just swap the axle so I guess I better start searching how to do this right.

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you were to find another axle, you could rebuild it and have it ready to go whenever you were ready to do the swap.

or

Make friends with a mechanic and have him guide you through the gear swap. Thats what I plan on doing.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
http://www.ford-trucks.com/article/idx/0/022/article/Ford_Axle_Code_Chart_.html

That is the axle tag decoder chart. As mentioned before in the driver side door tag, against the back part of the door jamb on the cab will be a truck sticker, with the VIN, trans code, axle code, tire pressures etc.

Take the axle code number, or letter and number and match it up to this chart.

all codes with one letter and one number are LS rearends.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
If you were to find another axle, you could rebuild it and have it ready to go whenever you were ready to do the swap.

or

Make friends with a mechanic and have him guide you through the gear swap. Thats what I plan on doing.

Mechanics are the reason why I decided to learn how to work on My own stuff and joined forums like this one years ago. I don't know any good mechanics near Me.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Geez why is everyone afraid of gears.

Anyway to go to a LS you dont need to worry about anything but backlash. the pinion wont be removed. I can get you a shim kit that will let you set the backlash to spec in about an hour.
The shims are on the outside of the bearings and are all special, I get them from the wrecking yards when they are laying around. Usually the ones that come out are really close to what you need. keep them on the same side, try it , check it then go from there. The carrier should push in and out pretty firm for preload. A manual will walk you thru it real easy.

Go to randys ring and pinion website. super shim kit is what you need and they have a book IIRC

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Seven4eight

Members online

No members online now.