What do you like about you IDI?

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
Roomy cab-comfortable-easey to work on-cheap used parts-nice sound-good OB fellowship-I can't go wrong. Plus a great classic body style.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
What i like about them is there cheap and easy to work on, they have great low power i love the way a straight piped idi sounds, and you can beat them in the mud, we took my buddys this week and couldnt get it stuck, my other buddys samari got stuck and it had goodyear MTR, my buddys has Dunlop radial rover A/T And we plowed threw the same mud hole in 2wd

benwill1

94Ecabfaciditrb4x4
Reaction score
I don't like that the 7.3's cylinder walls are thin, however, even without taking care of the cooling system, they last a long time

swampdigger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have never had to do so little work to a vehicle to keep it running. My truck got parked for a year. Drove it 3200 km three days later with little concern.

cornfed

Reaction score
as with everyone else the simplicity. not to mention they stand out in a crowd. just classic old school power on the cheap.

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
I bought mine for the package. Crew cab, unbelievably comfortable captain seats, five speed, D60 front axle and all around good looks. Very nice truck to be in for any occasion :love::love::love:

I (its a bigger pita to work on, more complicated, many more places to leak fuel, glowplugs **** me off, I don't care for the power curve or the fuel mileage compared to my 92 Cummins...) LOVE IT! ;Sweet LOL

TBigLug

I Miss U Baby Girl
Reaction score
It's cheap, gets great feul mileage, tows my horses, is easier to work on and has a ton of interior room.

6.5dieselman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i wish ford hadn't have used the IFS in the f250's and had something better than glowplugs(intake heaters)

RustyBolts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's dad's truck, but i'm pretty proud of the fact that the truck has almost 350,000 miles on it, and the engine has never been torn into (knock on wood). Tranny (E4OD) had to be replaced at 335,428 (locked up in direct), but other than that, it has NEVER (knock on wood) had any major work done to it.
Yeah, I'm pretty damn proud of "The Old Black Beast".

RustyBolts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I (its a bigger pita to work on, more complicated, many more places to leak fuel, glowplugs **** me off, I don't care for the power curve or the fuel mileage compared to my 92 Cummins...) LOVE IT! ;Sweet LOL

:rotflmao:rotflmaoLOL:rotflmao:rotflmao

Tarantula

Full Access Member
Reaction score
as with everyone else the simplicity. not to mention they stand out in a crowd. just classic old school power on the cheap.

I LOVE my old truck! I learned to drive in a 1976 ford 4x4 with a 390 and my 1983 6.9L reminds me of that truck. Give me more of that "classic old school power on the cheap". My dearly departed grandfather (9/9/2009) would have LOVED my old truck. He was the one who taught me to drive in that 1976 FORD. What would I give to go a-huntin with that old man today!!!

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love my 86 diesel. It's cheap and simple to work on, has more than enough power to haul, tow, or wreak havoc in traffic, and gets great mileage. I don't need a butt load of emissions crap, and know that like my other very dependable diesel (my 6.2l in my Suburban) not anyone can just toss in a new chip or charger to get more power or mileage. You need to be a real mechanic and a true connoisseur or diesels to appreciate the older ones. Too many new wannabes are buying large diesel trucks that are quiet and ride like cars. If I'd have wanted that, I would have bought a car.

Plus with a mechanical engine like our idi's offer us, I'm never worried about weird or expensive problems brought on by a simple electrical issues. Even the IPs can be run with mechanical shutoffs.

jhnlennon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got it for next to nothing, whats not to like about that! These things are so plentifull, there will be a parts network for many years to come.