what do you guys use to seal valve covers is there a gasket?

HankHill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks for the tips guys, my trucks valve covers are very corroded but not cracked, the target is the driver side, it looks very rusted aswell those bolts, so I guess we'll see what happens, I think I'm going to go with cork gasket and maybe some rtv with it, I would like to repaint the valve covers if there good, blue would be the color, but that can come later im more concerned about the little noise I'm hearing I think ill also pull the two injectors I didnt put vaseline on the bottom of the washer to help it mate inside the bore and try to reseat them, I wonder if that could be the noise, but I guess well see

edit: by the way "The guy who smiles when things go wrong has already thought of someone to blame it on." I thought that was hilarious lol

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
If you use cork W/ RTV be careful.The RTV can act like a lubricant causing the cork gasket to split & spit out from between the cover and head surface. If you use rtv put it on, set the cover in place -then let the RTV set up some B4 tightening it.

Last edited:

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The thing I hate most about cork is the way it falls apart when it's time to remove it.

93f250idi

strokin
Reaction score
The thing I hate most about cork is the way it falls apart when it's time to remove it.

your right there! i still feel safer with cork gaskets just a little more mess in the end. never did have any luck with rubber gaskets sealing good. :dunno what i did wrong

HankHill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey guys, I myself don't like the rubber gaskets, maybe I'm just unlucky but I had to use one for my e4od and I couldnt get it to seal propery and had to drop the pan twice again after my first time changing the fluid/filter, because it was drenching the garage floor in stinky red fluid, couldnt get the smell out for a few days LOL

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I like the felpro gaskets with permatex copper plus high temp oil resistant trv. It has never leaked yet. It will get tacky fast too so its easy to apply.... But hard to remove... I used it for the pan gasket and then saw the nut for the oil pump pickup on the bench.....:eek:-cuss:mad: Removed the pan quickly but still made a mess.....:angel:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent

Members online

No members online now.