What do CA laws say about swaping a same year diesel into a same year gasser?

crazytwo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The CA DMV just recently sent me a letter stating that I need to smog my 92 F-250. I told them it was a diesel and was exempt from smog due to the age of the truck and I didn't need to, they then required me to have the truck inspected by their "trained" official who had no idea what he was looking at since I had a Banks kit on it. Thank god for Banks placing a C.A.R.B and E.O sticker under the hood or I would still be there fighting with them. Just make sure you do your home work before you start the project so your not sorry in the end.

They just sent a letter out of the blue?

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ocasionally they send a smog letter out hoping to catch a gas engine in a diesel body. Was real common with the gm junk from the 70's and 80's.

Reaction score
Ocasionally they send a smog letter out hoping to catch a gas engine in a diesel body. Was real common with the gm junk from the 70's and 80's.

I always wondered about that. Seems like the way to get around all the CARB nonsense (if you want to swap into something newer than a '76 model) would be to buy a vehicle that originally came with a pre-emissions diesel, yank it out, and swap in whatever you want. Since CA only does SMOG tests and not general inspections like other states, you'd hypothetically never get caught.

Mike

crazytwo

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Interesting. Never heard of that. Learn something every day.

crazytwo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I always wondered about that. Seems like the way to get around all the CARB nonsense (if you want to swap into something newer than a '76 model) would be to buy a vehicle that originally came with a pre-emissions diesel, yank it out, and swap in whatever you want. Since CA only does SMOG tests and not general inspections like other states, you'd hypothetically never get caught.

Mike

76 is older than I want to go but not a bad idea.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online