What color is your WMO?

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I forgot that I had this picture, this was the batch of oil that I'm talking about after I picked it up and let it settle in my tote for ~36 hours.

:eek: Thats a lot.
If you have some weedy spots that stuff on the bottom might be just the trick.
If you can drain it off ok.

OTE]

leswhitt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It ended up draining off fine, the first 3-4 minutes of draining produced water that was as clear as drinking water. The it gradually turned into water with oil drops, then oil with water drops, then milky oil (white/brownish), then regular oil (which was the brown color). Looking at the picture, it looks like there's 4 layers...the bottom white, the mixed oil, the good oil, then air space. My kids thought it was magic (as did my neighbor), they couldn't figure out how I got the oil to levitate in the middle until I told them the truth and dropped the story about magnets being on the bottom of the tank and iron being in the oil, so the magnets were repelling the iron and making it all levitate:D

I knew the oil was suspect when I picked it up, it was one of those "all or nothing" deals though so I had to take it all. That pic is a 275 gallon tote so that's easily 60 gallons of water/? on the bottom, I didn't expect it to be nearly that bad.

Anyway, I just finished the first leg of the trip and while the first batch in my truck tank ran ok (I was down on power and mileage), it was 100X better than when I filled up from my auxillary and the truck quit on me 12 miles later, in a freaking snowstorm, with crazy drivers that were coming within literally two inches of my truck because they wouldn't move over one lane. This was 420 miles in the trip and I still had a solid 225 to go.

But anyway, after some prayers that allowed the truck to restart and make it to a gas station, I topped off the tank with 2 gals of diesel. The truck ran fine for 30 minutes and then back to running like crap, i.e. 10 mph top speed, HIGH egt's, no power, shaky idle, etc., so I stopped at another gas station, idled for 45 minutes, high idled for another 15, then squeezed 4.5 gallons more diesel into the tank. This suspect mix will fool you because after I topped off with the first 2 gallons, the truck idled fine, passed all the AE tests, and had me thinking that it's good to go.

Anyway, the second 4.5 gallons did the trick and then the truck could at least maintain highway speeds (although still underpowered) so I went another 30 miles and then stopped and squeezed another 3 gallons of diesel into the tank for a total of 9.5 gallons of diesel in a 44 gallon tank. After that, I could at least run 70mph again so I hightailed it the last 225 miles to my destination. So to recap, 420 miles of no problems other than low power and mpg (about 10.5) mpg followed by 225 miles of crappy running fixed by adding 25% diesel to the truck tank.

So I'm calling this oil, "filler oil" in that it'll save you money by taking up space in your tank, and it'll burn relatively cleanly, but it's mainly just filler. I'll run it at 50/50 on the way home so I can use it all up but you better believe that I'll be keeping a close eye on my EGTs and I'll buy a tube so that I can siphon the tank empty if need be.

I had AE on my laptop for the trip and it had me worried because it basically said that injectors 1,3,5, & 7 were all failing their CCT and the PerDels were off the charts. Since I had just filled up I immediately thought bad gas but was also thinking that because of the AE readings, I had destroyed possibly the injectors, the fuel pump, or the HPOP went out on me. Luckily, all the codes cleared and the injectors returned to normal once I mixed in the diesel (or just idled on the suspect mix) so those fears were allayed.

As for smoke, I was pretty much smokeless until I put the bad mix in and then I only had a light blue haze at idle. At HWY speeds, there was no smoke at all and it appeared to burn cleanly.

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Les,
Sorry about that, jinxing & all:sly
Glad that it didn't stop you completely.
Do you think that wmo that has a lot of water, can have smaller particles of water "embedded" or suspended
up higher in the wmo???:dunno

I don't want this thread to turn into a back & forth on water filtering systems or methods, but just curious what everyone thinks about this above.
I think this is another good reason why these engines (IDI's) are better suited for wmo & other would be fuels.

leswhitt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Brad, those are good questions; my WAG on this batch of oil is that either there's a little bit of suspended water still in it or there's something in there that just won't burn. When I let this oil drip through an open flame, it was stimulating the flame and making it jump, that was one of the bigger reasons that I decided to run it since I figured it was somewhat flammable. I'm still not sure why the first batch ran fine, it must've been the quarter tank of leftover fuel that I still had in the tank. The easy answer is that I'm running emulsified oil since that paper I read said that emulsified oil will still burn. Oddly enough though, when I heated this oil up, very few bubbles came out of it and the separation was minimal.

If it sounds like I'm going back and forth and don't have a solid answer, it's because I am....this oil seems to contradict itself on the tests that I ran on it.

Kalashnikov, yes, I'm running this in my '01 PSD Excursion and have been running WMO's in it for the last 12K miles. This trip might bump me over the 14K mark, I need to check my mileages when I get back home. This is the first time that I've had to add diesel because of fuel ignition issues, it's only another bump in the road to learn from and move on....hopefully without destroying my engine on the way back home:mad:

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Les, check that comment I made about IDI's, since your running this in a PSD.
I think I've asked this before, do you use ehtanol blended RUG in your mixes??
The way ethanol is supposed to absorb water in a gasoline burning vehicle, I would guess
it "should" make emulsified wmo run better..??

leswhitt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't use ethanol blended RUG this time around, I normally don't only because the stations close to me don't carry it. You're right about the IDI's being great WMO engines, that's what I cut my WMO teeth on.

Last edited:

chvycmnslvr68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have ran quite a bit of the "brown colored" oil mixtures in my cummins and I havent had much problems with it to date ... other than fuel filter failures ... but I have been mixing about 15-20 % RUG with it and I believe that it helps with the immulsified water dispersal and burning ... but it does have a pretty bad exhaust smell with the RUG ...as far as the color I think that it is related tho immulsified water ... I wonder if bringing the oil up to 215 degrees and holding it there would evaporate it off ... there is a didtinctive power loss with the brown oil compared to the reddish or black or clear (who) mixtures that I had previiously ran ... but still after pulling my gooseneck loadeed heavy with all of our household belongings, over 6K across the the country moving three times in one year .... the cost of diesel would have been more than I could have swallowed ... but with the WMO and rug mixtures I made the moves on only about 600$ in rug and diesel for mixing purposes ... where as it would have cost me (6000 miles /10 mpg @ 4.00$/gal =appox 2400$) so it is definitely worth the litle bit of trouble you have to go along with running it ...

leswhitt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I completely agree on the cost savings aspect, this trip of ~650 miles only cost about $40. If I have to run 50/50 for the future brown mix though, I'm better off driving the wife's Odyssey for the next trip since it'll roughly be the same cost. I normally run 100% WMO, don't mix any diesel, and get the equivalent of 90 mpg.

I have a turkey fryer back at the house, I want to pick up a cheap big pot at Goodwill and heat up the oil and see what happens. What I really need is an army immersion heater, then I could run it off WMO and heat up barrels at a time.

leswhitt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright, I'm back home and aside from extremely poor MPG and lower power levels (pulling a 6k lb trailer through the mountains of NC, WV, and VA made it shift out of OD), made it in without too much trouble. The total trip was 1600 miles and I ended up adding in about 32.5 gallons of diesel to my mix. Considering I had about 20 gallons of RUG in it, that puts me at 52.5 gallons of "paid" fuel for 1600 miles or 30.4MPG, not too shabby.

If I look at the overall mpg (paid+unpaid), the last 2 tanks were horrendous and I used about 80 gallons for 630 miles or 7.9 MPG. I had compressor surge almost the whole way home so I'm sure that attributed to some of the poor mpg, the biggest contributor though was the suspect oil. I did have a chance to run without the trailer during the trip and it ran beautifully and didn't miss a beat, I guess it didn't like the extra 6k lbs.

I have a 3500 mi trip in mid-Feb that'll use another 150 gals of this suspect oil and 25 gallons of even worse looking oil, luckily I'll only be pulling my fuel trailer which'll only weigh about 1700 lbs. I was hoping to pick up 200+ gallons of ATF during this trip but it didn't work out, I need to find some stock soon though because I'm running low. Happy New Year to all!

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That 200 gallons of atf sure would have been a score!

IMO any reduction in fuel cost is a blessing. It really adds up quick!
How many miles of wmo have you put on your PS? From the sounds of it you have had extremely good success with it, even if there is a hiccup every now and then.

leswhitt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got just over 15K and after thiis next trip will be within sight of 20K. I cut my teeth burning WMO in an IDI and things have gone just as well with the PSD. It's been a learning process for sure but it's well worth it with fuel prices running $4.29 right now!

That 200 gallons of atf sure would have been a score!

IMO any reduction in fuel cost is a blessing. It really adds up quick!
How many miles of wmo have you put on your PS? From the sounds of it you have had extremely good success with it, even if there is a hiccup every now and then.

NTOLERANCE

I'm the cotton swab
Reaction score
My who / rug mix is green-ish. At 80/20 the truck is really crabby. I think its killing the lift pump in these cold temps.

leswhitt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This Friday I'll be on a 3K mile trip and try to use up the last of this batch, my trailer will be much lighter and I have plans to change my Turbo wheel midway so hopefully my MPG will jump back up there. I plan to run about 30-35% diesel mixed in, I'll let y'all know how it goes.

After this trip my WMO reserves will likely be dry, I haven't come across any in awhile (partly because I'm deployed and partly because Craigslist has been empty). If you know of anyone with spare oil that's looking to get rid of it, drop me a line!

leswhitt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh and my oil has been sitting for 6 weeks in freezing cold...I'm going to drain the holding tank from the bottom (water goes to the top in freezing conditions) in hopes of getting some water free oil.