What are you all using to get that injection pump out??

CrewCabFanatic

Reaction score
Decided today was the day to do a full fuel system service...front to back. Ive got new tanks, lift pump, return line kit, injectors, injector pump, fuel filter, and glow plugs just because I'm already in there.

Everything has been smooth sailing so far except for one issue. I can't get the bottom two nuts that connect the injection pump to the gear housing off! It seems I need some sort of magical contortionist wrench to get in there :D

It's the last thing I have left to do on the fuel system, and I've got a core due and I don't want to put my vendor behind on my core return. Everything else went great, but those two dang bolts! Anything you could recommend that might be found at the local hardware store, or should I just buy a grinder and see if I can't make a 9/16 box end fit in there?

Thanks in advance, if anyone knows it'll be you guys!

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
The one that I use is from Mac Tools. The number is DA18 on their website. It's called an angle wrench. The angled end is at 60* while the other end looks like a standard open end wrench. I've never had an issue with it. It's done countless pumps and I've had it since about 1996.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
The 5/8" version can usually be twisted around to get to all of the lines on the injector pump too.

CrewCabFanatic

Reaction score
Thank you all...so much good advice so quickly! This community is invaluable. It looks like I can just stroll down to the local Ace tomorrow morning and grab some of those angle head wrenches mentioned in both threads. They claim to carry them, and it would be the less expensive option since I don't already own a grinder. I took a file to one of my craftsman wrenches in an attempt to thin it out, but....although they're not snap on or mac they're one heck of a lot harder than I thought they'd be :D I figured my beater toolset would be a bit softer.

Some folks have mentioned they where getting them off with just normal wrenches...I think that has to do with the angle the nut happens to present itself when fully tightened down on each individual truck. On mine there was just no chance lol.

I appreciate the help, I'm not totally green to wrenching but I am 100% green on the idi. I wouldn't have been able to do a lot of this work without the write ups and threads on this forum.

gandalf

Reaction score
Just in case you want to make your own IP wrench, "convert" an old wrench you have, here is a picture showing what you need to do.

You must be registered for see images attach

Reactions: dgr

dgr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A mapp torch and a little patience will get a wrench hot enough to bend. I did have to file it back to 9/16 after as I closed it a little while bending it. I bent the open end right by the head.

I ground the combo side down really thin. Unfortunately, my studs must be a little long. I still can't get over them.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I ground the combo side down really thin. Unfortunately, my studs must be a little long. I still can't get over them.
When the nuts are tight, you can usually only get the open end on the lower two. Usually, you have to loosen everything and then slide the pump back a little bit to get at least one of the nuts all of the way off. You have to have all three started before drawing any of them tight as well.

CrewCabFanatic

Reaction score
I've got her off :D the pump, I mean lol. I walked down to the ace, and it turns out they did not, in fact, have the angle head wrenches they claimed to have. What I ended up doing was buying a grinder while I was there and making my own out of a 9/16 box end. I'm looking at the wrenches ya'll made and they're a hell of a lot prettier than mine! Hehehe. But it worked. What I ended up doing was thinning out and re profiling the box end to get around the head of the nut, then cutting off about 1/3 of the wrench at the open end so I could get at the passenger side nut. I've attached pictures of what it looks like for those looking to make their own. It's crude looking but it worked great.

dgr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Crude and functional. Fits right in with my truck. Good job