What are good C6 tranny components?

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey!
I'm going through my options on the tranny for my truck, trying to decide what to do to get it to keep moving over 30 mph and under 6000 rpm. Just kidding, at least want to go over 35 though where my C6 isn't shifting me into 3rd. And since it's the stock setup, with the 305-70/16 tires the speedometer is spot on, I don't have to worry about transfer cases or drive shafts or any fancy math to get things up and going.

Had all the components lined up to do a 5 speed conversion, but the guy sold the ZF out and instead had one with a grinding 2nd gear in it's place that I am leery about putting under the beast and if I am going to build a tranny, I may as just go and build a fresh C6 for now. Although the ZF is off of an 86 conversion and would include drive shafts, so that's less work and expense right there.

I have the bell-housing, and choice of 4 speeds (one 2wd with divorced 205, one with a Dana 21 (I think 21, it's off a 73 F100 with 360 torque monster and married 4 speed to a single speed transfer case) or plenty of used ones for sale about. I would just have to source a flywheel, clutch master, slave and line and see about the shafts. But if I were to go with a 4 speed, I would really love to go with a Ranger OD right off the spot since there will be dickering around in the first place.

Realizing here that the worst problem I have is that I am just so damn unsure about which direction to take, I think the options are my biggest chances as well as my worst road blocks. I sit and think too much about it all. Especially lately with my Grandma having just passed on, my Dad's stress giving him a heart attack, and sitting wide awake at nights staring off thinking instead of dealing with all of the stuff going on. Maybe I just need to take the easy direction, get the "stock" drive train together and freshened and built and move on and then I can deal with all of the other things.

So maybe with that in mind, what would be good upgrades? I was thinking that since I have slightly oversized tires, 4.10 gears, desire to keep towing, that a firmer RV type valve body (that's not the neck snapper, is it?) for firmer shifts and better line pressure, a low stall torque converter (I guess the builder I would use only uses once by "Precision" out of Indiana (I guess...?) that has roller bearings instead of thrust washers, does that sound right and is that a good company?) or something like a Monster TC, maybe do any other upgrades he recommends since he builds transmissions for off road racers in Crandon, WI and some bigger truck pullers he would know what would work and just go with him.

I know I've posted on this before, and am just swimming in my head with all the details and should just shut up and take the leap and do it. So I guess if I could get as many opinions as possible I would appreciate it. Everyone has what they like, what has worked for them, and has tried different combinations. I'm open to hearing it all. I've got to pull the trigger and just do it. My mind is swamped with all I have read about upgrades, and I'm leaning to the C6 just because of the simplicity and I could put larger tires on it when mine go and still have power where needed.

And honestly, has anyone had experience with Precision converters or Monster converters or are those Monster ones just over kill in a currently NA machine? And if going with a C6 build (which I could get done for $1200 without me even touching the tranny, and incredible warranty), what upgrades would y'all be inclined to go with?

And this is the last time I bother with the questions... Eventually I will be running a stick in the truck, but for now, I was thinking just making it easy would be the way to go.

USNENFTS

U.S. Navy Engineman
Reaction score
Me being me likes the ZF 5 because you can control what gear you want VS the automatic. I don't know much about the precision converters and what not but the C6 is reliable. Sounds like you do some pulling, a manual is much better for pulling :D It's all up to what you want to do. I know Gear Vendors makes an Overdrive for the C6 but runs about $2000.... You could probably do a ZF 5 swap for that, if the tranny doesnt need an overhaul.... I swapped my C6 for a ZF5, I am much much happier with the RPM and fuel savings! Not mention she pulls A LOT better.

direwulf23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm in a similar boat. I have an E4OD that needs a rebuild and/ or torque converter, but ultimately I want a ZF5. Do I do the work on the E4OD and get the ZF5 down the road or just buy the time (and gamble) that the E4OD will hold until I find/ install a ZF5? The answer is I haven't decided. Lol. I keep going back and forth.

1994 Ford F250, 2wd, 7.3L IDI, NA, E4OD

2006 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer, 2wd, 5.4L, automatic

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin