What all needs to be ripped off a turboed engine for a swap

Cat_Rebel

Does not compute
Reaction score
Okay sure this has been gone over 1000s of times but what needs to be pulled off a turboed engine to be swapped onto a non turboed engine? My buddy found an old engine with a ATS aftermarket wastegated turbo. So I want to know what does he need to rip off of it to throw it on a non turboed truck?

1-Turbo
2-Snail shell it sits on
3-manifolds
4-down pipe
5-valve covers
6-oil drain line from the turbo

What else am I missing & about how long would it take to tear it all off? :confused:

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
i also pulled the valley pan grommet and engine wiring harness. it was a factory turbo though so my set up had a different harness.

also pulled heat shields if they are there, down pipe, oil feed to turbo, up pipe, CDR tubing and intake that holds the air filter allong with all the extra bolts you can get. i had to replace the pass rear two intake bolts with longer ones from the turbo engine in my set up. again that might not apply to a aftermarket set up though.

the exhaust manifolds are the same so no need to pull them.

Devilish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
7. left valve cover
8. air cleaner
9. if going on truck in your sig and other truck uses the e40d and if eng still in truck, then the trans controller
10. egt and boost guages if they are there
11. pictures, since they tell a thousand words

the exhaust manifolds are stock so they aren't needed unless yours are damaged.
I can't seem to access the ats website right now so if you can then search around for the diagrams to the turbo systems. they will be of great help.
1987 and newer trucks have an updated glowplug controller unit mounted on the engine. the unit is slightly rerouted for clearance. pictures of this and maybe mounting bracket would be important

Removal from engine should only take a few hours

Cat_Rebel

Does not compute
Reaction score
9. if going on truck in your sig and other truck uses the e40d and if eng still in truck, then the trans controller

Could you or someone else please explain why this would make a diffrence? Not sure what tranny this other truck has but yes the plan is to swap it onto mine & I do have a E4OD. I don't recall my buddy's 94 with a factory turbo having any diffrent setup then mine. :confused:

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Could you or someone else please explain why this would make a diffrence? Not sure what tranny this other truck has but yes the plan is to swap it onto mine & I do have a E4OD. I don't recall my buddy's 94 with a factory turbo having any diffrent setup then mine. :confused:

I didnt think ATS had any E4OD program with there turbo, only banks did :dunno .

Devilish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Upon checking further on the net it seems that the crossover tube between the exhaust manifolds that loops under the engine is needed. I'm not positive about the e40d controller being different or not. ATS recommends that you use a certain factory part# for the transmission it may be the same or it may not. If the price for the complete setup is the same then why not grab it and find out later. Now if you can access the ats site( I can't right now) then you can verify what is needed or not

Cat_Rebel

Does not compute
Reaction score
Doesn't it work off of how much throttle it has & can be adjusted? I could be wrong but I don't see it being any diffrent then stock except having more power.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
You'll need the Y pipe /up pipe from the driver's side manifold to the turbo as well.
I don't know if you'll need the dipstick tube for that setup or not, the 088 used a different tube with the C6, I don't have any idea about other applications and later turbos.

you'll want the air cleaner as well.
Pedestal. if there's an adapter there for putting T in the oil feed line, grab it ( and if tapping in there at the oil sending unit port, make sure to clean that thing out first , or ask Justin about what'll happen :bail -cuss

FordGuy100

Reaction score
You'll need the Y pipe /up pipe from the driver's side manifold to the turbo as well.
I don't know if you'll need the dipstick tube for that setup or not, the 088 used a different tube with the C6, I don't have any idea about other applications and later turbos.

you'll want the air cleaner as well.
Pedestal. if there's an adapter there for putting T in the oil feed line, grab it ( and if tapping in there at the oil sending unit port, make sure to clean that thing out first , or ask Justin about what'll happen :bail -cuss

Yeah fun things happen if you dont clean out that galley LOL. After a couple hundred miles of driving your turbo whistle makes it sound like a siren is behind you, from the turbo spooling up and down, up and down, ect.....then a hundred or so miles later you find that your turbo is making some really weird noises and wont make any boost. By by turbo :D, $350+ down the drain right there.

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
Looks like ATS redesigned it's website and removed the schematics to the old turbos. I dug up a copy I had and I've attached it to this post along with the install docs.

Attachments

• 7.3-WG-Ford-Turbo-System-Install.pdf
    34.1 KB · Views: 6
  • 7.3-WG-Ford-Turbo-System-Layout-sm-A1-1.pdf
    228.2 KB · Views: 6

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
The new website at ATS completely sucks :backoff
The old product info is now nowhere to be found, and half the things you click on for IDI bring up powerchoke parts :puke:
I wonder what brainchild but that disaster together? :rolleyes: