Well not an IDI but pretty funny...

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
once again, my question from my last post. what makes the front tires hook uup better when in 4x4 than the rears in 2x4?
I have next to zero experience driving in snow.ice (California native; the only ice I've ever seen on the road was a patch of black ice), but my guess would be that you have a slightly better chance of holding traction because nearly all pickup trucks when empty have considerably more weight on the front axle than they do on the rear axle.

Beyond that, I'm guessing that, with four tires being powered instead of two, you have more opportunities for one tire to get traction than you would with only two tires being powered. That would also assume that both differentials have limited-slip, which IIRC very few of our trucks had on the front axle (my '84 shop manual lists a code for a front axle limited slip, but I don't recall ever having seen a '80-'94 Ford diesel with a limited-slip front axle)...

Again, that's a semi-educated guess...

Wyreth

Certifiable Noob
Reaction score
once again, my question from my last post. what makes the front tires hook
uup better when in 4x4 than the rears in 2x4?

The 800lb diesel engine sitting on them? :angel:

In the old 85 toyota I used to drive, the 4x4 shifter was a magic lever that let you drive up walls. Well not really, but yes on hocky ice, with road tires, it would standing start up a hill while empty. Not well, and not strait, but it'd do it. Add ice studs, and I'm not sure I would have noticed a difference in the road.

TWeatherford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what makes the front tires hook uup better when in 4x4 than the rears in 2x4?

Weight. Its almost all up front on an empty truck. It also helps to have all 4 tires pulling than just two. So a 4x4 truck would be better than a FWD only truck as well. Shiny ice like you're talking about is certainly no fun in anything, but at least is reasonably negotiable with 4 wheels pulling.

bigoilburner20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
was is a solid sheet of ice like a hockey rink or an ice/snow mix.

i am talking about hockey rink like ice, not a mix of snow and ice. the snow on the ice will give the tires something to bite into.

once again, my question from my last post. what makes the front tires hook uup better when in 4x4 than the rears in 2x4?

look i have a 2wd truck it has a rake which doesnt look great but the engine has weight most of the weight is sitting on the front wheels. so yeah that is why if you have some weight in the back of a 2wd loaded down truck then it will have grip!!!

GRIP=traction traction=not getting stuck whixh _no crussing and yell and having a calm day.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
allright, 4x4= you can move on ice. i'm done with this now. I have had little to no experience with 4x4 so i was speaking based on what thought would happen. obviously i am wrong. sorry for saying anything.

bigoilburner20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey now come on man we all are here to learn we arent mad I am not mad you just dont know and i didnt ethier until a few years ago thats why I PREACH 4x4!!! its great but its alright if you dont understand. we are here to help everyone that comes by each person here has a story to tell and we all have some wisdom to share its just we all have different ways of telling people. don't log off here mad or something or irratated. but...

2wd is a great thing also no extra U -Joints to change extra axles etc. 2wd is good for gas mileage but when I seen a powerstroke or a idi get just about 18 I start to wonder if my 2wd is worth it.. and the answer is yes it is... nothing extra I have to worry about parts last a little longer and i don't get into trouble as much.... so dont run off mad becuase we kept talking your ear off. lol just dont take it to heart I mean i really care if I make someone upset not to feminme but it just makes me feel guilty.

Squeaky_Wheel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i did watch the vid and i does show a BIG difference. i am not doubting you guys even though it seems like it. just did not make sense in my mind.

I think I understand how you were looking at this situation. If Ice was a frictionless surface your thought process would be correct. But eventhough ice is slippery it is not frictionless. That being said the more drive tires you have on ice the more friction you create. More friction = more traction.

I hope this helps you understand how other people (or at least me) are looking at this situation.

Wyreth

Certifiable Noob
Reaction score
i did watch the vid and i does show a BIG difference. i am not doubting you guys even though it seems like it. just did not make sense in my mind.

It didn't make sense to me, until I locked in the front hubs and hopped in my old bosses pickup for the first time. There are alot of explanations for why 4x4 is exponentially better than 2x4. However, until I spent some time with the front axle locked in. It didn't make any "real" sense. Not in a seat of the pants way that I actually understood.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Eric,

Sorry you were discouraged by some of the answers. So let me share some of my personal experience.

This is with my own vehicles and my Dad's vehicles....

Rear wheel drive cars - Normally had "snow tires" (this was in the late 70's early 80's) and they were ok.... some did better than others, depended on how the car was built. We had several wagon's and they seemed to do better than coupe/sedan's we had.

Front wheel drive cars - Better in slippery driving than a rear wheel drive. One bad thing about front wheel drive, your driven tires are also your steering tires. If the tires are spinning they have no traction, so, no direction control (steering). A rear drive is spinning the rear tires, the fronts still can steer, in a front drive, they spin, and affect steering. If I had only the choice between a front wheel drive and rear, I would choose the front wheel drive...

2 wheel drive trucks/vans - Had a F-250 2wd RC LB and it would get stuck in wet grass, literally...in the winter, we would load up several hundred pounds of wood into the bed, left just enough room for the snow-blower to fit and it helped... was not perfect, but you could at least get around.... we have also had 2 E-150 Customized Vans, and they did better than the truck..... I think because of weight/weight distribution. The vans were heavier, and had more weight on the rear wheels.

4 wheel drives - 2 trucks and 2 suv's. An 83 F-150 RC LB LS-Both Ends, and a 97 LD F-250 EC SB - Much better in slippery conditions. The 150 was nice, but with the Limited Slip on both axles, it would go just about anywhere, but if there was a grade to the road (like a crowned road in the country) if it was slick, and in 4x4 it would slide into the ditch before it would go..... then it would go..... Another idea on the weight, on the 150, we had a topper/cap and a tonneau cover, I could tell a difference in 2wd traction with the topper vs the tonneau cover on, the topper weighing in at a couple hundred pounds (aluminum) and the tonneau cover being 5 or 10 pounds.... The SUV's a Durango and my Excursion. They they do well in 2wd again, I think because of weight distribution, and they had an A/T Tire instead of a street tread. A good example of what 2wd vs 4wd, if you have seen the pics of my Excursion, it is sitting in my driveway, not sure of the angle. but it is apprx 2 car-lengths and if I stand at the bottom of the drive, I am looking across the top of the garage floor and I am 6'4". I back into the garage, and I normally can get into the garage with the cars, but if it is slick, no matter what is making is slick, snow, snow-pack or ice.... when I get the front tires onto the driveway, the rear will spin (either SUV) put it in 4x4, and it normally will walk tight up the driveway.... again, I believe weight distribution.....

The key to traction is weight.... and "hooking" to the surface you are on.....

Another example.... I have a Cub Cadet garden tractor that I plow snow with, and I have chains on it. Numerous owners have tried many different combinations to get traction when plowing. Ag tires, snow-blower tires, or the normal turf tires, with and without chains. What has been found is, the turf tires with chains, and weight are the best. Reason being the turf tires are "flat" across the surface, which makes the chains have the most contact with the surface, and weight to make them dig in.... I my case, the tractor, blade and chains weigh in at about 1000 lbs, and in my winter gear I am about 375, so almost 1400 weight, and I can drive about anywhere when it is slick.... I have driven up the driveway after an icestorm, and didn't spin a wheel. So it is traction, and weight distribution....

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntjapkes

Members online