Well, I was warned...

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A while back I posted a thread about finally getting my truck leak free. I should not have done that. Since then I have developed 5 leaks.

Fuel filter head heater. Pretty consistent flow. Not enough to hurt mileage much (got 18 on a tank this week) but enough to have cleaned the valve cover pretty good.

Transmission cooler lines. Fixed them last Saturday.

Heater core. Found a really minute amount of coolant inside cab. It's shown itself now.

Oil leak. Either oil cooler or oil pan gasket. Blows back to oil filter, runs down and drips from there.

Fuel filter to IP line. Only enough to be greasy. Could be coming from filter head leak but I think it was oozing first.

I am not looking forward to fixing these. But the truck decided to get in a ******* match I suppose.

Could be worse.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Heater core is truly easy. I have a reman from NAPA and it has worked well and leak free for 2+ years now. Just make sure all your electronics are grounded and that you don't use hard water in the coolant or else you will be doing it again....and again..... you get the idea. Those fuel leaks are going to be tough to fix. I've converted most of miy lines to and from the header to fuel injection rated rubber hose and retained the special IH fittings. Being you know your stuff, you may be able to do a bit better. Getting the rubber gaskets inside those flare nuts is no fun...real hard to do without cutting them. I usually ignore oil leaks unless they seem dangerous or likely to drain enough oil to hurt the engine. I think they are designed to ooze oil. Good luck

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Heater core is truly easy. I have a reman from NAPA and it has worked well and leak free for 2+ years now. Just make sure all your electronics are grounded and that you don't use hard water in the coolant or else you will be doing it again....and again..... you get the idea. Those fuel leaks are going to be tough to fix. I've converted most of miy lines to and from the header to fuel injection rated rubber hose and retained the special IH fittings. Being you know your stuff, you may be able to do a bit better. Getting the rubber gaskets inside those flare nuts is no fun...real hard to do without cutting them. I usually ignore oil leaks unless they seem dangerous or likely to drain enough oil to hurt the engine. I think they are designed to ooze oil. Good luck

Good to know the heater core is easy.

if I knew the size of the fitting on the IP that the inlet line attaches to I would try to find some JIC swivel fittings to replace the the weirdo compression fittings that International/Ford used. Who ever heard of putting the seal outside the flare? Or flaring only one side for that matter and not having a mate on the other side? Unless I am missing a part, perhaps some kind of compression ferrule.

I've used JIC fittings @ 3000+ psi without any issues or leaks.

I am not one to let oil leak if it can be helped. I detest putting my hand in an engine compartment and getting extremely greasy. I can accept seepage but not a bonafide leak. It will get fixed when I figure out exactly where it's leaking from. I'll have to clean it first so I can tell where it starts.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
You just got the gears turning in my head. I hate fooling with those stupid seals and I end up having to pop a fresh one in every time I disturb the things. A nice Aeroquip hose on there would sure take care of that.

Michael Fowler

Reaction score
Please pursue the goal of a better connection between the filter head and the IP.
AND THEN post back the parts used to make it happen. Maybe you could even put together a complete kit and sell it here, make millions and buy yourself an island and retire! Or maybe make enough $ for a cup of coffee.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
You just got the gears turning in my head. I hate fooling with those stupid seals and I end up having to pop a fresh one in every time I disturb the things. A nice Aeroquip hose on there would sure take care of that.

That's what I have from the tank selector valve to the filter head! Nice, very nice! Clean install and the only o-ring fittings I have are from the filter head to the IP and IP to injectors. Those fittings are strange and I just didn't like them!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online