Well, Big Red is gone

Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After 14 year of hard life Big Red finally died. Okay, not totally dead, but in bad enough shape I had to let it go. It died on me and the better half and I couldn't get it started again. So, I had it towed to a local diesel guy. The compression test was way less than stellar. Zero in #1 & #3, less than 100 in #5. There was water in the oil, oil in the water, and when the heads came off you could see what looked like water in the sleeves. Whether it was the big "C" that finally took Red down or not, I don't know. So I sold the truck and bought an '06 Powerstroke. I hated to let Red go, but I don't have the time or talent to completely redo a truck. I have a couple of belt tensioners and a set of factory tech manuals I plan to post on the market place soon so keep your eyes peeled;Sweet .

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Duu! I need to pay better attention. Good call. 210K isn't too bad for one truck/engine. Hopefully the '06 lasts as long or longer.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How was the rest of the truck? A repower wouldn't be an expensive affair for someone with a spare IDI. Big Red could live again with some help. Good luck with the new one.