Weird starting issue

pickupman

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just recently I started having this problem when I start my truck, the engine will run between half and WOT throttle for about a second before returning to a normal idle speed. This problem has occurred twice when I'm starting the engine cold, and once when warm.

It seems like this problem only occurs if I depress and release the accelerator before starting the engine. Since I live in a warm area, I never start the engine while depressing the accelerator pedal, however, I will depress and release it before attempting to start the engine, so that the fast idle/cold advance is activated once the engine starts. Other than this issue, the the truck runs just fine, it also starts quickly, even when temperatures got in the 30's around here.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I suggest checking the throttle cable. Sounds like it is hanging up on something. ?May need to replace it.

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What rpm does it jump to? I notice that my 92 hops up to 1400 or so for a split second before settling at the high idle rpm

mobilemech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
agreed with icanfixall, check the throttle cable. also how old is your IP, fill the fuel filter with Marvles and start for just a few seconds and let sit over night to clean any deposits in the IP. If it does'nt help you are most likely going to need a IP.