Weird sound like a cylinder is missing.

JustinC00

Reaction score
Hey y’all
I figured out the issue with the glow plug system. There were two wires that were loose in the passenger side connector that feel the plugs, and I only disconnected and rewired one of them. Got them put together and the truck fires up now. New issue, of course. There is a sound that I’ve heard faintly before whenever I take off the air cleaner that sounds like a cylinder missing. Thing is I cracked all the injector lines and every one of them causes the engine to Lose power. I took off the cdr last week, and am getting a new one, but I just installed the old one because I don’t know if the engine can run without it on, any idea if that’s the sound I’m hearing. And if anyone has a way for me to send a video on here that would be great

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
Typically an engine feels like it is missing more than sounds like it’s missing. Do you feel a miss via a vibration of the engine when it misses. BYW your truck will sound different with the air cleaner off. Can you elaborate on the noise and why it seems different. And yes post a video of the noise that may help.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
If you're hearing the exact same sound as you do when the engine's running with the air cleaner (or just the lid) off, then it's what I call the "intake pulse" for lack of a better term. This sound is perfectly normal for our engines and nothing to worry about..

JustinC00

Reaction score
how do I post a video. Do I have to post it to YouTube. Sorry not really familiar. And yes, idi bronco, it is kinda like a pulse, but before, said pulse wasn’t super noticeable and really only was with the air cleaner off. But now it seems like it’s louder and more prominent. And big Bart, I took it for a test drive, and there isn’t any kind of “off” feeling for lack of a better term. There is no weird shakiness or any off vibrations just sitting here.as I said I have a replacement cdr and hose that goes to the head coming. I took off some old sealer that was smeared on the hose. I’m thinking it’s the hole that said hose goes into isn’t completely sealed. I could be wrong.

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
I have only posted YouTube links but perhaps try the attach file button below and use a mp4 file.

I sounds like the change in sound is the difference of having a air cleaner and not.(No pun intended. ;)) Since you do not feel a miss I don’t think you have one. When these miss at idle the engine shimmy’s and rocks the truck side to side a little.

Diesel or gasser the air cleaner and intake tube not just clean and direct air, but like an exhaust system they muffle and direct the sound away from the passenger comparment.

Newer Ford trucks have crazy looking baffles to the air cleaners now to help considerable reduce engine noise and air whistle. It’s turned int a whole science of sound thing.

But the video may prove me wrong or help us point you in a different direction.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Staff online