weight distributing hitch

DetroitDan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anybody got any input regarding weight distributing or "equalizer" hitches? I recently got a 33 ft 10,900# travel trailer, and I don't have a weight distributing hitch. I towed it home about ten miles, and on a short camping trip of about 40 miles with just the class 4 receiver. The truck has dual wheels, so the excess tongue weight made no difference whatsoever. It towed like a dream, barely knew it was there. My question is, according to everything I've heard, I should be using one because of the weight of the trailer, but isnt the W/D hitch more for lighter single wheel pickups to help them tow more than they otherwise could? It seems to me the only thing it does is help unload some tongue weight, and my truck doesnt mind a little extra tongue weight. I always load the camper carefully to keep weight even over the trailer axles. I've got a big trip coming up, so I've been thinkng about it a lot.
Thanks.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dan,

If it towed fine with no sway problems you probably dont need one, but if you are concerned about this upcoming trip why dont you take the hooked up rig to a scale and axle it out (fill the tanks or put the number of items/people you will be hauling), see if you are well within manufactures limits for front and rear axle on the tow vehicle. The W/D hitch actually transfers weight from the rear axle to the front axle by lifting up on the back of the truck (hitch). I do use a W/D hitch on my rig, but I am a SRW F350.

Mike

KRMNAL1

Reaction score
Like Mike said, my 28 ft trailer pulls just fine w/o the WD hitch but there is to much tongue weight so I use it to transfer the weight. does 2 things transfers weight to your front axle like Mike stated but it also transfers weight to rear of the trailer by leveling the trailer with the truck so you don't need an anti-sway bar. I only have a 3/4 ton PSD with a 28 ft trailer but tongue weight is different than gross weight. I would however never use a wd hitch without having an electric jack on my trailer :D I am to old and to lazy to crank that pig up and down to put the bars on

Whit

Reaction score
All coments are right on so far! Back in my haft ton days I had sway problems with my 24 foot bumper pull camper, I got me one of these W/D hitches and the problem was all gone, could travel up to 75 mph if the truck would do it, before 55 mph was scarry :eek: I think if the truck is handeling it fine than dont do it just mash the loud peddle down and let er roll LOL

Cheers, Kevin

Roland_Jenkins

Señor Member
Reaction score
Another thing worth mentioning. With a WD hitch, when you hit a bump the weight doesn't lift the nose of the truck.

I tow a 10,000 GVW trailer with a 7,000# + / - pickup on it with my F250.
It sits level and doesn't porpoise.
but
Unlike the rest of you, I know its there

Whit

Reaction score
Originally posted by Roland_Jenkins

I tow a 10,000 GVW trailer with a 7,000# + / - pickup on it with my F250.
It sits level and doesn't porpoise.

OK Rolland please tell me what porpoise means :confused: :confused: :confused:

KRMNAL1

Reaction score
Originally posted by Whitmore
OK Rolland please tell me what porpoise means :confused: :confused: :confused:

I don't know, I thought a porpoise was whale or something like that ??? but Roland does make a good point about bumps,

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Porpise: to do what a porpise (dolphin) does as its swimming and gliding in and out just on the surface of the water....capiece?

Makes for a helluva uncomfortable ride, specially if the bladder is hitting the high limit switch from too much coffee.

KRMNAL1

Reaction score
Originally posted by 95_stroker
Porpise: to do what a porpise (dolphin) does as its swimming and gliding in and out just on the surface of the water....capiece?

Makes for a helluva uncomfortable ride, specially if the bladder is hitting the high limit switch from too much coffee.

Maybe just maybe the old RheanMan is not as dumb as he looks afterall ;Really ;Really nah can't be afterall he is just an assisant manager at Pizza Hut, Right :hail :joker:

Coffee my ass you meant BEER

DetroitDan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys, that is what I was hoping to hear. My truck has a lot of front axle weight with the 4 wheel drive and especially a big heavy diesel V8, and its a long wheelbase, so the front end never gets light at all. I know people with 4 wheelers who absolutely need a sway control, but I think the dual wheels really help control the sway. My last trailer was a 7500# 24 footer, and it pushed my 3/4 ton regular cab all over the road, couldnt get much over 55 with it.. Thats the main reason I got the dually. The 24 never pushed or swayed the dually. I'm pretty sure I'll be sticking with 6 wheels from now on. Even though all I do with it is commute in it. It only works a few times a year, but what the hell.
anyway, thanks again.

KRMNAL1

Reaction score
Hey Dan, all ******** and jokes aside you prolly ought to get the WD hitch ?? they only run about $275 bucks and a 33 ft trailer is a pretty ******** big square **** box to have sitting on a standard receiver slug with all that tongue weight. Even with a dually you will feel the benefits from the WD hitch vs. a standard slug especially on longer trips. This is only my opinion and as we all know opinions are like ********, everyone has one and they all stink

Last edited:

DetroitDan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I decided to replace my receiver and ball, which are both only rated for 6000#, with a solid steel receiver rated at 10,000. It is a tri ball setup, with fully welded shanks. It made me feel a little safer than the hollow receiver. Towed it 90 miles into the mountains, rode great, just a tiny bit of porpoise going over big dips and railroad tracks and such, but I was running at about 60 mph the whole way. No sway whatsover, even going downhill fast around curves. Couldnt be happier with the way this truck and trailer goes down the road.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good deal Dan! I'm assuming its a WD hitch, try to adjust the tension on the torsion bars, it might eliminate the porpoise action.

Mike