Weak Mack...what to do?!

Deezle1

Fah-Q Racing
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone knows what i could do to a 350 hp mack dump truck...and who supplies aftermarket parts :D its a 86 mack, 9 speed...and it needs more balls :angel:

Dom

NJKen

is a daddy!
Reaction score
Deezle1 said:
Just wondering if anyone knows what i could do to a 350 hp mack dump truck...and who supplies aftermarket parts :D its a 86 mack, 9 speed...and it needs more balls :angel:

Dom
Aftermarket and Mack are oposites. Kinda like oil and water! The best thing you can do is take it someone who understands them and have it turned up a little. If you start tinkering yourself it is all but too easy to wind up with a Mack that smokes like a factory.
Strange thing about Macks of that vintage is that they are either balls out powerfull or about weak as hell. I have never driven one that is just rite.
Best of luck
Ken

rubberfish

Reaction score
NJKen said:
they are either balls out powerfull or about weak as hell.
Ken
Same thoughts here as well.
We've got two 5 tons at work.
Mine's a '97 and Greg's is a '99
My 215 will out pull his 250 all day long,
but, I'm not complaning :D ;Sweet

nevrenufhp

torque ******
Reaction score
You could call around to fuel injection shops(not diesel repair shops), they may be able to do it or show you how to do it. Another place to look is Scheids, they seem to have done 'em all.

Pacific

Gravel Rat
Reaction score
Your biggest problem is the 9spd if you had the Mack 12spd behind it the truck will have more power. Macks have the low end pull you can drop them down pretty low and they keep pulling.

Mack doesn't have many aftermarket parts you will have to ask Fred Hemer he is a member here and is a Mack mechanic.

DmaxEter

Meet Mike Hawk
Reaction score
Deezle1 said:

Dom

First thing would be to make sure there are no leaks in the charge air system. Then make sure the reversing relay/puff limiter is functioning properly. Then make sure the valve adjustment is good. Then if nothing helped, pull the pump and injectors and send them to a good pump shop and tell them to match the delivery to the injectors you supplied and keep them in order for proper installation. Thats what I would do. ;Sweet

Deezle1

Fah-Q Racing
Reaction score
Truck got sent out to a big rig performance shop down Boston way. I trust my best friend matt, so i let him take it down an hes stayin there for a while to see how things work and how they'll tune it. they said they'd do what they could to it. litterally:D , so i was like "Matt, ill bring a blank check in 2 days for em. and some cash to keep ya occupied." so im goin down there tonight, as its been 2 days:) Me and my cousin are headed down, Im Takin Mean Green and he's takin Matt's 6.0.

will post on results:)
Dom

NJKen

is a daddy!
Reaction score
Deezle1 said:
Truck got sent out to a big rig performance shop down Boston way. I trust my best friend matt, so i let him take it down an hes stayin there for a while to see how things work and how they'll tune it. they said they'd do what they could to it. litterally:D , so i was like "Matt, ill bring a blank check in 2 days for em. and some cash to keep ya occupied." so im goin down there tonight, as its been 2 days:) Me and my cousin are headed down, Im Takin Mean Green and he's takin Matt's 6.0.

will post on results:)
Dom
That sounds like the best way to do it. Best of Luck
Ken

rubberfish

Reaction score
Pacific said:
ask Fred Hemer he is a member here and is a Mack mechanic.
I thought of him as well, but haven't seen him
here in quite a while. I wanted to see him yesterday
when I was around the corner from him at Harbour City Diesel

Deezle1

Fah-Q Racing
Reaction score
Well....got it back! What an animal. It had the wrong injectors in it! they put even larger ones in, ajusted the turbo, the pump timing was off, and it had the wrong intake plumbing and stuff. Drove it home, completely different rig. I'll give the final cost when they finish putting a new tranny in our 13 speed 400 mack.

Still smokin along,
Dom

nevrenufhp

torque ******
Reaction score
Drive more pleasantly with more guts, don't it?!? ;Sweet
I need to have a package like that available for sale to the general public. ;)

Duke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dom,

That's great! Isn't it crazy when you buy something that's not set-up right and you want to blame the truck manufacturer, but all along it was someone who just screwed the truck up?

Deezle1

Fah-Q Racing
Reaction score
Ohh man, a complete pleasure to drive now! :D i love it, i haul up hills no problem with the excavator on the trailer now! its smoother, more powerful, everything i could have wanted. i think they swapped the injectors with the larger ones... :) its all good to me,

Torque'in along in the big daddy Mack,
Dom

Freightrain

Just "B" it........
Reaction score
Hmmmm.......low power.............won't keep up with traffic.............

Sounds like MY truck................. :rotflmao :rotflmao :rotflmao :rotflmao

What can I expect for a 46 yr old 170 hp motor with too many miles............... ;Sweet

(naw..........ol #15 runs pretty good actually....)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dieselmainiac

Members online