we are now skipping down the road

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like the IP or injectors. What's the history on them?

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
Brand new IP and the injectors(G) have about 5 miles on them with the exception of one that I stuck in the #3 hole to test a theory after I got the E but only ran about 2 miles and maybe 15 minutes.

RedTruck

Reaction score
Did you reuse the old copper gaskets? If so I believe there is an article on TDS stating that it's not recommended, but if you do, heat the gasket with a propane torch and quench it in water to retemper the gasket. Can't say I'm a believer in that method unless you're in a bind. I'm pretty sure you get new copper gaskets in a injector replacement kit.

Here's one: Clicky

Your ping at idle isn't a broken glow plug tip or two? The rough idle at cold startup seems like it points in that direction. Especially since your rough idle at startup and your ping noise seem to have developed at the same time.

Paul

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Maybe I'm way out here but if the truck shakes while driving, at what rmp's? Could it be the FW? If You still have the DMFW.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, you could get the injectors tested to rule them out. Until then, it's still a possiblity, but I'll agree it seems unlikely considering the circumstances.

gabbyr100rs

Reaction score
I felt a "skip" with mine below 50 mph a few years ago. Turned out to be a bad u joint at the rear diff. Spent some money on injectors, glow plugs and new harness. U joint smoothed things out.

Have the Saint crawl under there and try to wiggle things around.

Good luck. Hope you stay warm the next couple of days.....

jtate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i just wanted to ask a question about the circumstances of the new ip & injectors. could it be that when he replaced ip and injectors he developed a air intrusion leak in one of the return lines and that is why it runs rough on idle until it clears all the air out and it runs fine after that except for the skip wich could be from something else. after it sits all night air enters the lines again and same old thing next morning.

GaPchNCrm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jonathan thanks for getting that info to Mel. :) Paul- He didn't reuse the old copper rings.. that was my gripe a few weeks ago was that DPS was taking a loooong time to get them shipped. he said he figured the ping out but didn't elaborate lol EZ- It shakes at ALL RPMS. And it does have the DMFW. Gabby- it skips at all speeds... at least up to 75. Oh I mean.... 65. yes 65! :D The IP was replaced by a shop... but BJ did just ask me to ask what is the correct torque on the injectors? He's going to check them over this weekend. Did I cover it all? lol

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Jonathan thanks for getting that info to Mel. :) Paul- He didn't reuse the old copper rings.. that was my gripe a few weeks ago was that DPS was taking a loooong time to get them shipped. he said he figured the ping out but didn't elaborate lol EZ- It shakes at ALL RPMS. And it does have the DMFW. Gabby- it skips at all speeds... at least up to 75. Oh I mean.... 65. yes 65! :D The IP was replaced by a shop... but BJ did just ask me to ask what is the correct torque on the injectors? He's going to check them over this weekend. Did I cover it all? lol

Torque for the injector should be 35-36 lbs

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
hoodshauler said:
George- the ping is in the exhaust. No white smoke, and cranks fine but idles very rough when cold until it heats up.

Is the ping more pronounced when at operating temp....or just stone cold?

I can't recall if you replaced any of the GP's or not....and I know the ones under the turbo can be painful-cuss ....but while you are searching for the cause, might be a thing to remove the GP's and throw an eye on em........

It shakes at ALL RPMS. And it does have the DMFW.

Like a dead miss when a gasser plug wire breaks or hit and miss?

What does it sound/feel like if you take it to MNL {maximum no load rpm} or what some call high idle..= mashing the pedal to the floor--in neutral and warm engine-- and holding it there for a couple seconds......

{ you should hear a quad turbo 16V92 !!!!!!!}

Don't fear doing this :thumbsup: the gov will hold it at just under the redline rpms

I thought you guys went Lucky mod .......:confused:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin

Members online