we are now skipping down the road

hoodshauler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well my aggrivation continues. Peppermint just died about amonth ago went from running in the morning to died when we went to move it with a full load of wood-cuss . With that said After a new IP Pump new turbo injectors (thanks Johnathan) and all the parts that go with that we have a skip.

From the ordeal that Joe had last summer I am thinking I may have a problem in the heads. Does this sound reasonable to yall, or could it be something else? One other thing is i have noticed a ping sound at an idel.:confused:

I have finally found a shop around here that knows what he is doing and dont charge you for his knowledge. I dont have the time or the place(anymore) to tear it down myself so i am having to pay for this work.
What kind of ball park figure would you say this would cost me?

Also (Johnathan) looks like we will be putting our money into thins truck instead of getting rid of it. If I am going to sink alot of money into her i might as well get my moneys worth out of her!

The dark force has lost this fight! :D

One more thing anyone know a good turbo shop In Georgia? Might have that rebuilt while she is down too!

Last edited:

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
Dang BJ......is the "ping" more from the exh pipe or intake or comming from "inside"?

any compression smoke-white/grey- from the exh......

Have you pulled the rocker covers to give the rockers/push rods/valve springs the evil eye ........

How is it starting cold?

We are here for ya :cheers:

BTW....say HI to Tanya and the herd :D

Last edited:

SKimballC

Reaction score
How much have you driven it since the IP/injector swap? Sounds fuel related to me, like all the air didn't get bled out or one of the injectors ain't right. Try cracking them one at a time to see if you can find one thats causing the skip.

hoodshauler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
George- the ping is in the exhaust. No white smoke, and cranks fine but idles very rough when cold until it heats up. Rough to the point of shaking the whole truck. No- we haven't taken the covers off yet, its been raining to much on my days off to think about that. Shane- its been driven daily since the swaps, wifes daily driver.

George- Tanya says hi and tell Flo hi from her ;)

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
hope it ain't the injectors I sold ya....if it is give me a holler.They only had about 5 miles(that is a generious guess) and MAYBE an hour of run time.Make sure that all the lines were tight especially the #1 with the goofy timing gizmo.Pray soapy water around the bottoms to make sure the copper seals seated properly and your not getting compression blow by.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also (Johnathan) looks like we will be putting our money into thins truck instead of getting rid of it. If I am going to sink alot of money into her i might as well get my moneys worth out of her!

The dark force has lost this fight! :D
It's good to see there's someone out there who still believes in these trucks. at least this breaks the "sorry sold her" postings of late.
I'd vote to pull the valve covers and take a peek inside first. If that is inconclusive, then run a compression test. If that is also inconclusive, its time to take a second look at injectors and IP. I just bought a truck with a "bad hole" due to a couple of bad injectors.
if you do need heads, I'd check out what Clearwater or Alabama cylinder heads have to offer for a complete ready to bolt in. I've brought in 10 sets of heads over to a friend's shop for checkout, only 1 set was rebuildable. That's not good odds at all.

pafixitman

Reaction score
I second the compression test. I would also pop test the injectors if you can. BTW-Mine idled rough, ran rough cold or hot when the valve went.

hoodshauler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I second the compression test. I would also pop test the injectors if you can. BTW-Mine idled rough, ran rough cold or hot when the valve went.

Thanks Joe I was hoping you would respond with your input as to what you were experiencing

pafixitman

Reaction score
I know compression tests are not easy on a factory turbo truck. (I watched EZ test mine LOL ) The numbers do not lie though.

Also, I know Mel preaches "test the injectors before you install them". Real easy for him since he owns the equipment. OK, pretty easy for me since he is very generous with his time and equipment... I have a set of stage 1s and I got a set of brand new, sealed in plastic Delphi. There are pop pressure and spray pattern differences even on new injectors. You may just have a bad injector.

BJ / Tanya the easiest way to describe mine was it ran like it was on 7 cylinders from Myrtle Beach, SC to my driveway and everytime I restarted it before the heads were pulled.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually, Joe's symptoms were a little more bizzarre. It would start and idle smooth and then rough up within a few seconds. I can only figure that since he had a massive compression leak, that the compression was higher when the cylinder was cold, and so that cylinder would contribute until expansion due to heat dropped the compression below usable numbers. That symptom was why I strongly felt it was an injector, but ultimately it was the compression test that showed us there was a real problem.

dbarilow

over worked
Reaction score
I had a copper seal leak on mine shook the truck something horriable when i cracked the injector lines to bleed the air out thinking that was the problem I saw the bubbles comming up. I'd check that first caus its the cheapest and easiest one to do.

hoodshauler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
( Tanya again) Figured since I am here I'd give my take on my trucks antics.

It doesn't idle rough unless you start it cold. I plugged it in cause I'm a wimp and I prefer warm air to take the girls to the bus , and face it the 1/4 mile trip down the road wasn't getting it warm enough for me. Anyhow- plugged in all night- it cranks and idles fine. If left to its own devices it cranks OK but would idle so rough the whole truck shook, until it had ran a minute or so then it smooths out. Driving down the road- no problems with acceleration or power, but you feel like you are driving down a dirt road. constant skipping that is just noticable enough to denote a problem some where but not so bad that you get whiplash from driving it. Not sure if this info helps or not... but as I said I was here anyway and had to add my 2 cents LOL

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
( Tanya again) Figured since I am here I'd give my take on my trucks antics.

It doesn't idle rough unless you start it cold. I plugged it in cause I'm a wimp and I prefer warm air to take the girls to the bus , and face it the 1/4 mile trip down the road wasn't getting it warm enough for me. Anyhow- plugged in all night- it cranks and idles fine. If left to its own devices it cranks OK but would idle so rough the whole truck shook, until it had ran a minute or so then it smooths out. Driving down the road- no problems with acceleration or power, but you feel like you are driving down a dirt road. constant skipping that is just noticable enough to denote a problem some where but not so bad that you get whiplash from driving it. Not sure if this info helps or not... but as I said I was here anyway and had to add my 2 cents LOL
As far as the sitting cold part, you have a couple or more bad glow plugs. I've gotten mime to fire on 3 glow plugs. It shakes and belches for a minute and then smooths out.
The skipping part needs more diagnosis. are you hearing popping out the exhaust or intake side at all? secondly, does the exhaust make your eyes water bad(very poor combustion), the beauty of these motors is its doesn't need rocket science to diagnose them:thumbsup:

GaPchNCrm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As far as the sitting cold part, you have a couple or more bad glow plugs. I've gotten mime to fire on 3 glow plugs. It shakes and belches for a minute and then smooths out.

What you described is exactly what mine does. Makes me wanna :shoot: and put her out of her misery. :rolleyes: Sad thing is that we just replaced all the GP's about 2 months ago?

The skipping part needs more diagnosis. are you hearing popping out the exhaust or intake side at all? secondly, does the exhaust make your eyes water bad(very poor combustion), the beauty of these motors is its doesn't need rocket science to diagnose them:thumbsup:

LOL Probably a good thing since I am the one trying to describe what its doing. Poor BJ, I call him with a " this is what the truck is doing today" story and he tries to figure it out from my ramblings. He has the patience of a saint. I don't hear a popping but I also don't hear the ping that BJ mentioned :confused: however I do hear a ticking noise. Was told thats an exhaust leak which was our next fix, until the skip showed up. I don't notice anything different about the truck, no strange smoke, or fumes, or activity beyond the skip. I imagine it will spend most of the weekend tore apart...