WD - Trailer Sway

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
As some of you know I have been fighting trailer sway even since I switched trucks and I finally whipped it :Thumbs Up

To bring everyone up to speed - Used to have F350 CC Dually which handled the trailer quite well I would say - never had felt much of a push from the semi's as they passed and cross winds did not effect the combo much. (Pull a 31ft TT weighs in at 9200-9500lbs "wet") have the std Reese WD setup with friction sway control - I know not the best but hey it worked... Fast forward to last fall picked up a different truck (2500 Ext Cab SRW) well needless to say the trailer does the driving and the truck is along for the ride. At first thought it was all the tires but that was not the case (they did have some effect on it but not as much as I was first thinking).

Anyhoo... Sherri and I did a last ditch effort this past week with it. We rotated the hitch head to the last notch in the tilt dept and really - I mean really leaned on the WD bars to the point where I thought they would probably snap. We figured if this did not take care of the sway then the trailer would be sold toot sweet and a 5er would be taking it's place. But I'm happy to report that all we needed to do was tilt and lean on the WD bars. Handling is right up to ***** - not as good as it was with the 4 wheels in the rear but it's petty dog gone close.

Just as a side note yes I did download the instructions from the maker of the hitch and followed their directions to a tee with all the measurements the first time around. I learned that those instructions are only a STARTING point and not the final stop. We ended up two notches past the printed directions to get the load balanced.

Only problem/complaint now is boy do you have really yank to get the bars loaded - this is even with cranking the living snot out of the jack to the point where you want to check to see if the rear tires are off the ground on the truck. :eek: (it's not that bad but boy you sure do work up a sweat running the jack).... I think it's time for me to buy an electric jack (a big one at that).

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
... makes me glad I'm just pulling a 10,000 pound horse trailer with a regular gooseneck ball... LOL

Glad you got it straightened out!

Billysgoat

Rolling Smokeshow
Reaction score
Rickson's are the answer, I pull the house with a SRW short bed 2500 and have 0 sway problems. Heck, I have watched a 6000lb trailer go from one side of the lane to the other behind the truck, and never felt it in the cab ;Sweet Most folks don't believe it but the 19.5's are very similar to a dually in stability.

ericboutin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad you got her straightened out Travis!! ;Sweet There is nothing worse than white knuckle driving when you're supposed to be on an enjoyable trip with the family! I still think the perfect solution is a '91 Ford IDI Dually though! Just my .02! :D :D LOL

MMeier

Reaction score
Most WD bars are supposed to be perpendicular to the ground when set correctly. At least my Draw Tite bars are, anyone else?

Pacific

Gravel Rat
Reaction score
You are gonna have to beef up the suspension to keep the squatting down I know of a guy that hauls roofing material on a trailer with a similar truck like yours. His trailer must be close to 8000lbs or more plus he packs another 2000lbs of plywood. He increased the springs and added overloads the truck handles the load pretty good he has more problems stopping now. He is running I assume they are 265/75R-16s I know they are LTX M/S Michelins .

I really don't trust those weight bars you have alot of weight twisting on a reciever hitch that is only held on with a few bolts the rear section of the frame isn't that strong. If the weight bars ever broke on you when going down the road it would probably throw the truck into a real bad sway and you may loose control.

I never trust air bags either as helper springs all it takes is one to blow and the truck all of a sudden drops and you leave a brown spot in your pants.

As for 19.5 tires that doesn't cure a under sprung truck like Dodges usually are. The 19.5 tires will handle some wiggle because they are stiffer and don't squirm as much but if you run a good 16" tire you shouldn't have many problems. You will exceed the wheelbearings before you run out of tire capacity.

Too bad a converter dolly isn't legal it takes all the weight the truck just pulls it like a wagon it would be a little bit of a ****** to back up thou because you have two turning points. The dolly could have electric brakes on it to help with the stopping power.

spg

Big Red
Reaction score
A better way to reduce the sway would have been a Reese Dual Cam sway control. It does the best job without having to improperly load your weight distributing bars.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online