Water Separator - Dumb Question time

nitroguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, quick question for you. I've tried searching, but "Water Separator 6.9" returns about as many threads as there are in total on this board. Apparently it's an issue!

Here's my question: My Water in Fuel Light comes on when I'm under load.

I swapped Fuel Filters, and it didn't really change the behavior.

I know I've got a water separator on my firewall, and from all the threads I've read that's problematic for air intrusion, but that doesn't *seem* to be a problem....yet. But, and here's the dumb question, How do I use it? I pulled the little pin on the top with a ring in it, but nothing drained out of there - should it? I'm assuming it's the hose by the back of the driver's side leaf spring? Yeah, that's dry. Should something come out of there? Because pulling the pin when truck is off just got me a whole lotta air in the system (dang! Was late for my meeting!). And pulling the pin when the truck was running didn't really do anything either.

Anyone have guidance here?

RDieselKid84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you pull the ring with the engine off it should drain out the hose at the bottom of the water separater. You probably have muck in it, old water and trash in the bottom at the drain valve. Try a little bit of vucum at the hose as you pull the ring or a little air pressure, not to much to break it loose. Good luck.

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I got my 86 the water and n fuel light came on and took me a min to find someone had pushed a 1/2 bolt in the bottom of the hose

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Or you could swap your filter and water separator for one of these.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/jyn9TH8BEyQ1JtwP7

I have one of those out of a junk yard IDI that I got for my F250. Never did install it, as it still has the factory one, but I never have seen water come out it.

My E350 RV's factory one is totally gone, so I really need to install that aftermarket one.

It's just going to be a pain, since I have a mechanical pump. It's not going to be fun at all to get it cranked back up. I will probably have to empty by 2 gallon gas can and pump a little diesel into it for filling the filter, so it won't have as much trouble restarting. It will stall out still and need a lot of cranking to purge the air, but still not as bad as a bone dry filter. But eh, I have newish batteries and the means to recharge them if they get low before it fires back up.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have one of those out of a junk yard IDI that I got for my F250. Never did install it, as it still has the factory one, but I never have seen water come out it.

My E350 RV's factory one is totally gone, so I really need to install that aftermarket one.

It's just going to be a pain, since I have a mechanical pump. It's not going to be fun at all to get it cranked back up. I will probably have to empty by 2 gallon gas can and pump a little diesel into it for filling the filter, so it won't have as much trouble restarting. It will stall out still and need a lot of cranking to purge the air, but still not as bad as a bone dry filter. But eh, I have newish batteries and the means to recharge them if they get low before it fires back up.
Just screw the dry filter on, pull the FSS lead and the Schrader core and crank the engine till liquid comes out. Replace both and fire it up like nothing happened. :D :Thumbs Up

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Talk to Wes about his check valve

johnf250

Reaction score
I had rust mud a rust flakes in mine. I took it off cleaned it out and it works fine. My next project is to replace the rusting fuel tanks. I have a 1985 6.9.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Talk to Wes about his check valve

A couple of brass ball values would be a better idea. The factory water separator on vans is right under the driver's seat on the frame. Having a ball valve on either side of the aftermarket filter/separator would make more sense due to how low it has to mount. Just close the valves to replace the filter later. Assuming the filter/WS there wouldn't restrict fuel flow to the lift pump. I'm guessing it wouldn't since the factory WS was there.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online