Water Pump time...?

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some (rusty) water dripping down from the harmonic ballancer area.
My guess the pump pushing is going.
Cant see the dam weep hole. ;Really

Only 7 years outta this one...but not many miles. :puke:

Auto Zone Duralast...> anyone have good luck with these :confused:
(new pump) $50.00 some bucks Lifetime
or
rebuilt $20.00 1-year war.

sassyrel

Reaction score
rust out of weep hole--not good--before you change the water pump--get some cooling system flush--and get the rust outa der---after new pump is put on--use some cooling system conditioner --stops rust--its soluable oil--and lubricates the seal area--

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
If you have rust floating around in the "water" it will grind the waterpump seal for sure. As stated clean the cooling system first BEFORE you install the next pump. Then run antifreeze so it wont rust the system again. When the water is used the frost plugs rust out faster than the cast iron block. Now I know you don't want to be replacing the plugs do you... Check the condition of the radiator too. It might be a good time to have it rodded out. Are you going to replace the hoses and check the thermostat while your this far into it??? :Sly

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Went with the NEW Pump from Auto Zone. Used my $20.00 gift card so it came to $30.00. Just finishing up now.

Glad it happened today vs next week when I will be towing my boat some 500 miles!

*T-stat coolant and all hoses are maybe 3-years old. Coolant came out bright green.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Glad to hear the coolant was bright green and the job is done easily. Its too bad we can't just pull the front rad support off so we don't have to work upside down leaning over the radiator... :D

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
icanfixall said:
Glad to hear the coolant was bright green and the job is done easily. Its too bad we can't just pull the front rad support off so we don't have to work upside down leaning over the radiator... :D
True but I'll tell ya...while I was doing this job I kept saying to myself..."this jobs pretty easy" ;Sweet ...can't imagine the headachs if it was a new 6.0 Ford :frustrate

zigg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I noticed no-one said anything, and forgive me if you already know this stuff, but just wanted to remind you that you gotta make sure the top 2 center bolts are the shorter ones(if they're too long, they can hit the injection pump gear and cause all kinds of nasty problems...), and the top 2 and the bottom 2 also need to be sealed with silicone or some similar thing, so that you don't develop oil leaks down the front of the engine face! (both bolts are continuous with the oil drainage area down the front of the engine...)

Zigg

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
zigg said:
I noticed no-one said anything, and forgive me if you already know this stuff, but just wanted to remind you that you gotta make sure the top 2 center bolts are the shorter ones(if they're too long, they can hit the injection pump gear and cause all kinds of nasty problems...), and the top 2 and the bottom 2 also need to be sealed with silicone or some similar thing, so that you don't develop oil leaks down the front of the engine face! (both bolts are continuous with the oil drainage area down the front of the engine...)

Zigg
Yep I'm well aware...but it's still a good idea for some others to get a refresher about those 2 bolts. :Sly

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hope that aftermarket water pump is bettert then the NAPA "Gold". The impeller wasn't pressed on fully, and they didn't machine the bosses where the bolts ride. :puke:

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agnem said:
I hope that aftermarket water pump is bettert then the NAPA "Gold". The impeller wasn't pressed on fully, and they didn't machine the bosses where the bolts ride. :puke:
The unit I put on was pretty good...fit and finish. ;Sweet

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online

No members online now.