Water in the Oil

Drew2010

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As the title says, ive got water in the oil. I have only about 700-1000 miles on this oil change. Today I was out taking the intake box off to look for my mysterious oil leak, when I got to looking down the filler tube and noticed some milky looking goo. So upon further inspection I pulled off the cover on the front of the timing cover and found the same milky residue. So since my valvecovers have a slight leak i figured I would pull the drivers side (easier) and inspect that..... Wouldnt ya know its full of that crap.

What could be the cause of this? I did alot of hot water pressure washing on the motor after my 4 quart leak that "fixed itself" could the water get in the motor some how? Also thought could the Oil Cooler be leaking internally? My antifreeze levels arent low but Im not saying it couldnt be. Any Ideas guys? Im getting tired of all this and am thinking of pulling the motor to reseal it.... Im just getting frustrated and want to drive this thing. My 96 has 1200lbs of ballast for plowing so its sucking the gas..... Thanks in advance for any help...

Oh and since I know you guys love pictures....... You can click on em to make them bigger

Attachments

• motor.jpg
    motor.jpg
    544.6 KB · Views: 9
  • Inj Cover 1.jpg
    Inj Cover 1.jpg
    420.2 KB · Views: 5
  • inj cover 2.jpg
    inj cover 2.jpg
    393.3 KB · Views: 7
  • Valve Cover.jpg
    Valve Cover.jpg
    517 KB · Views: 7
  • Rockers.jpg
    Rockers.jpg
    604.6 KB · Views: 7

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
Could've certainly got some water in there, if you hoovered the nozzle of the pressure washer around the CDR grommets too long...

Could also be "The Big C"
:dunno

When I worked at a trucking company in high school the owner always wanted me to pressure wash the engines ONLY right before doing an lube-oil-filters.

Might change the oil again, clean off all the goo, and hope for the best...

Drew2010

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I was gonna change the oil again, would it be okay to flush the motor with kerosene? and if so could I wash down the rockers and flush it down through the head since I have the valve cover off?

jonathan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what does your antifreeze look like? brake cleaner is what would use. then i would change the oil with some supertech diesel oil and run it for a couple of days then change the oil with rottala oil

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One way to know for sure if it is coolant or just water is to do a used oil analysis (like BlackStone or CAT or someone else). If it is just plain old water, then it likely came from the pressure washing. If it is coolant, it could be a head gasket, crack one/both heads, oil cooler leaking, or cavitation.

If it is coolant my money is on the oil cooler or a headgasket.

Heath

jonathan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One way to know for sure if it is coolant or just water is to do a used oil analysis (like BlackStone or CAT or someone else). If it is just plain old water, then it likely came from the pressure washing. If it is coolant, it could be a head gasket, crack one/both heads, oil cooler leaking, or cavitation.

If it is coolant my money is on the oil cooler or a headgasket.

Heath

it should have 6.9

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
I would check the turbo drain grommet in the valley pan to make sure it's tight and sealed. Any cracks or gaps and any water sprayed on the VP will drain right into the engine.

Drew2010

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well guys the coolant is still nice and green. doesent bubble when it runs or anything. There was water dripping off the valve cover when I removed the one, it was crystal clear and didnt smell or feel like antifreeze. rubbed it on my fingers and it didnt seem sticky.

Drew2010

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would check the turbo drain grommet in the valley pan to make sure it's tight and sealed. Any cracks or gaps and any water sprayed on the VP will drain right into the engine.

I will be sure to check this out, seems like an easy way to get water in there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrannonB

Members online